Malware and Viruses
It is important to protect your computer against malware and viruses because modern malware doesn't just interfere with your use of the computer, it steals information.
Prevent a Virus or Malware from Taking Over Your Computer
- Keep Adobe Flash & Reader and Java updated. Malicious ads on legitimate websites are being used to take over computers whose users are lax about updating these products.
- Keep your computer's operating system and office products automatically up-to-date.
- Maintain up-to-date virus protection software on your computer.
- Do not open an email attachment unless you are expecting it or have checked with the sender.
- Do not click on links in unsolicited email messages.
- Keep your computer's firewall turned on.
- Remove all open shares from your computer system.