Faculty/Staff Guidelines for Use of Network/Email Accounts
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly.
- Never share any of your passwords with anyone.
- Write down your passwords and keep them in a secure, hidden location where
will always be able to find them.
- Request a generic email account for use on Web pages and other general feedback needs, such as for a department or organization. Generic accounts can be checked by multiple people in your department and will not be inactivated until you notify Information Technology.
- Try not to use personal email accounts for Web pages or other general feedback needs, such as for a department or organization because personal accounts are inactivated when the person's employment terminates. (A personal account could be used for collecting data from a Web form that has a limited life.)
- Another reason not to use personal accounts for these general feedback needs is, if the person transfers to a new Pepperdine department, their personal email account follows them to their new department. If you were using their personal account for departmental or Web feedback, they will not want to monitor that feedback from their new department.
- Only the owner of an account may contact the IT Help Desk at 310-506-HELP (4357) for assistance in resetting their password when they forget it. But everyone should also create a NetworkID Profile so they can reset their own password without having to contact the Help Desk.
- By order of General Counsel, supervisors of employees who are sick, on vacation, or separated may only have the passwords of those employees reset by special approval of the Vice President or Dean over the affected department or division. The approval may be emailed to email@example.com who will provide that approval to the appropriate Information Technology department for processing.
- New employees and temporary employees may not be told the userid and password of another employee. The Human Resources computer system will automatically create, and email to the appropriate supervisor, unique network/email account login credentials for new and temporary employees as soon as all of the necessary employment requirements have been met and input into the HR system by the Center for Human Resources. Until the new account is established, a manager may ask another employee to sign on to the network so the new or temporary employee may do any necessary work.
- If an employee who is departing the University was receiving business e-mail, the manager may ask the departing employee to place an "Out of Office" message on their email account stating that they no longer work for the University and all business email should be resent to <place an appropriate email address here>. That way, no one has to get into the departing employee's email account for any reason.
If a departing employee was not able to place an "Out of Office" message on their email account, the department manager may construct appropriate "Out of Office" email and voice mail messages; and submit them on the Separated Employee Web request form. Information Technology will see that the "Out of Office" message is placed onto the departing employee's email and/or voice mail accounts.
- Any time you have any need for network additions, changes or deletions, please ask your department's Departmental Technology Liaison to complete an appropriate online Network Request Form.