An e-mail virus is computer code sent to you as an email attachment which, if activated, will cause some unexpected and usually harmful effect, such as destroying certain files on your hard disk and causing the attachment to be emailed to everyone in your address book.
You can protect against computer viruses by maintaining up-to-date virus protection software on your computer. Information Technology recommends Trend Micro for Windows computers and Virus Barrier for Macintoshes.
- Maintain up-to-date virus protection software on your computer.
- Keep your computer's operating system and office products up-to-date.
- Do not open an email attachment unless you are expecting it or have checked with the sender.
- Do not click on links in unsolicited email messages.
- Remove all open shares from your computer system.
- Visit only legitimate business Web sites.
- Use strong passwords wherever possible.
- Do not read third party email on your Pepperdine work computer.
For support with email and troubleshooting, please call the Help Desk at (310) 506-4357 (HELP) or Toll free (USA): (866) 767-8623 (24 hours per day/7 days per week.)