Student Engagement and Success (SES) offers current, full-time students free, in-person or online, individual and group writing tutoring appointments. Writing Consultants provide guidance to students on writing assignments at any stage during the writing process. To make an appointment, go to PGBSWriting.youcanbook.me. Please make your appointment at least one business day in advance. If you do not see an appointment time that matches your availability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we may be able to accommodate you. Please note that weekend appointments are only available online.
If you would like a group appointment, please select an appointment time when all of your group members can attend. If any group members are missing during the time of the appointment, the consultant will not be able to work on their parts of the assignment with you without that group member present. It is recommended that group appointments be 60 minutes long and in-person.
SES also offers walk-in writing tutoring hours where you can show up to receive assistance without an appointment. These walk-in hours are offered Monday through Thursday (excluding holidays and campus closure days) from Noon to 1 PM. If any additional walk-in hours are available, we will post them daily on our chalkboard outside of the center. Walk-in hours are ideal for students who have quick questions or want less than 15 minutes of support. For more thorough assistance, we recommend you make a 30-minute or 60-minute appointment instead. If you have any questions about writing tutoring, please email email@example.com.
Writing Process, Grammar, and Mechanics
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) at Purdue University houses writing resources and instructional material as a free service of the Writing Lab at Purdue. Students, members of the community, and users worldwide will find information to assist with many writing projects, including subject-specific writing, research, citations, grammar, and writing mechanics.
- This action verbs list provides a list of verbs you can use to describe actions in your writing
- This academic word list provides a list of some of the most important words to know in an academic setting
- Synonyms.com provides suggestions for synonyms (words that have similar meanings with each other) and antonyms (words that have opposite meanings of each other), helping to expand your vocabulary
- The corpus of contemporary American English will show the frequency that a word is used, and in which contexts it is likely to occur
- The flax learning collocations website helps you find words that often occur together, as well as synonyms and antonyms for words
Grammarly is an online grammar and spelling checker that improves communication by helping users find and correct writing mistakes. Grammarly is provided as a free service for all Graziadio Business School students.
How to use Grammarly:
- Copy and paste any English text into Grammarly's online text editor or install Grammarly's free browser extension for Chrome and Safari.
- Grammarly's algorithms flag potential issues in the text and suggest context-specific corrections for grammar, spelling, and vocabulary. An explanation is provided for each correction, so you can make an informed decision about whether, and how, to correct an issue.
For new students who started in this current term, you received an email from Grammarly EDU during week three of the new term with a link to activate your account.
For continuing students who haven't activated your account, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Go to https://www.grammarly.com/enterprise/signup
- Provide your name, @pepperdine.edu email, and password: BidWnzCjqqzMxZNq
- Check your Pepperdine inbox for an email from Grammarly and click on the activation link
- Apply the access code BidWnzCjqqzMxZNq
If you have questions regarding the tools available within Grammarly, please refer to the instructional guide.
For technical assistance, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a ticket directly from the editor feature with Grammarly.
Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own, whether intentionally or accidentally, and must be avoided. There are many resources available to help you avoid this practice:
- Plagiarism Checker - Copy and paste in the text you want to check in the white box that says "Enter text here to check for plagiarism" and then select the blue "Check for Plagiarism" button.
- Grammarly also functions as a plagiarism detection software. See instructions above for activating your account.