Life in Los Angeles
If you're the type of person who's always looking for new experiences, good deals and tasty food, then you're going to love living in the Los Angeles area. The Emerging Leaders encourage you to get out and experience as much of this city as you can. We have a few suggestions about where to start.
Outings in Los Angeles
- Visit Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. You'll find good shopping, lots of restaurants, movie theaters and plenty of bars.
- Play carnival games or ride the ferris wheel at the Santa Monica Pier.
- Visit The Grove, one of LA's most popular outdoor shopping malls.
- Enjoy the Getty Museum or Getty Villa in Malibu. Admission to both of these museums is free (parking is around $15). These are beautiful museums with spectacular views of LA!
- Experience First Friday on Abbott Kinney in Venice Beach. Every first Friday of the month, the entire street stays open late so you can peruse the art galleries, boutiques, restaurants and street vendors. Plus, all the best food trucks hang out at this monthly event.
- Go hiking. There are tons of trails near campus and in Pacific Palisades that will take you to the most spectacular ocean views.
- Look at the stars at the Griffith Park Observatory. There are also good hiking trails at this park, which will get you pretty close to the famous Hollywood sign!
- Play beach volleyball in Manhattan Beach, a cute town south of Los Angeles. Actually, there are volleyball nets set up at nearly every beach in LA.
- Work up a sweat on the Santa Monica stairs or jog down San Vicente towards Ocean Ave.
- Head downtown to LA Live, where you can catch a Lakers game at the Staples Center, see a movie, or go bowling.
- See a play or musical at the Pantages or Ahmanson theaters downtown. All the best Broadway shows make it to one of these stages eventually.
- Get concert tickets for the Hollywood Bowl. The weekend shows during the summer boast fireworks displays.
- Try a new happy hour each week. Almost every restaurant in LA has happy hour. Gather up a bunch of your new Graziadio School friends and try out a new place each week.
- Find a weekend destination. Los Angeles offers surfing, skiing, wine tasting, amusement parks and so much more within driving range. Consider quick road trips to places like Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas, or Disneyland.
Have fun exploring!