Student Employment | Hiring a Student
Steps to Hiring Student Employees:
All Supervisors are required to watch the supervisor training video, providing an overview of the Student Employment process and important updates regarding hiring and student supervision: Video
- Once you have viewed the video you will need to confirm with the Student Employment Office via the training acknowledgment form found here.
- All Supervisors will need to complete a Job Request Form located on the Student Employment Community page.
All Supervisors will need to post their Graduate Assistant positions on PepPro , in order to provide equal access to all GSEP students. Please be sure to create a new posting or update your inactive posting to include the new requirements:
Use this standard format for naming your Position Title: “Graduate Assistant: Name of Department” (e.g., Graduate Assistant: Career Services)
Add a Working Title that reflects the nature of the work your GA will be performing (e.g., Career Development Specialist). This title might be one that the GA uses in his/her email signature or on his/her resume.
Add three learning objectives for your GA.
Additional instructions for posting your position on PepPro can be found here.
Once the Job Request Form you have submitted has been approved, your posting on PepPro will be made “active” by the Student Employment Office.
- Supervisors should interview at least 2 students per position.
- Be sure to follow-up with those students who applied but were not offered a position.
- After you have identified the final candidate, report a hire in PepPro which will trigger the student employment office to process the hiring request and complete any necessary paperwork with the student.
- Once GSEP Student Employment Office has received the direct hire report, we will determine if the student needs to complete hiring requirements. The student will be invited to complete a New Student Employee Orientation which includes completing the Form I-9, Form W-4, and GSEP Student Employment Policies. The GSEP Student Employment Office will communicate directly with the student to complete these requirements and will keep you apprised of the application's status.
The University is required to comply with the Department of Homeland Security, which states, "newly hired employees must complete and sign Section 1 of Form I-9 no later than the first day of employment." Failure to do so can result in various fines and penalties. Therefore, supervisors are not authorized to allow students to begin working prior to receiving confirmation from the student employment office that the student has completed all required new hire paperwork. Visit this link to learn more about I9 penalties.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the GSEP Student Employment Office.