Apply to be a Student Leader
Resident Advisors and Spiritual Life Advisors
Application for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
Interested in becoming a Resident Advisor (RA) or a Spiritual Life Advisor (SLA)? Here's what you need to know!
- GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Check with your Financial Assistance Advisor and determine the impact the Resident Advisor (RA) or Student Life Advisor (SLA) scholarship may have on your aid package.
- Select references, tell them about the position you are applying for, and confirm that they are willing to serve as your reference.
- Submit the online application with recommendations by the application deadline of Friday, December 13th at 11:59pm (Malibu Time).
- Participate in interviews.
- Must be available for HRL Formation: returning to campus on August 8th, two weeks before NSO starts in August, a few days after check-outs in December, and come back for Spring NSO.
Many students' financial aid may be affected by the RA/SLA compensation package. Please check with the Financial Aid Office about your individual situation.
- Upperclassmen Apartment RAs (Drescher, Lovernich and George Page)
- Housing scholarship which includes equivalent of free room
- Choose your roommate and apartment mates ahead of housing selection
- Meal plan equal to approximately 550 points per semester
- All other RAs (freshmen and sophomore halls including Towers and Seaside)
- Housing scholarship which includes room and board
- Single rooms in residence halls when possible (choose your roommate if needed)
- Meal plan equal to approximately 1600 points per semester
- SLAs (all areas)
- Housing scholarship (you will likely have a roommate)
- Choose your roommate
- No meal plan
Applications Open: Wednesday, November 13th at 5pm Malibu Time in the Housing Portal (accessible by clicking the button at the bottom of the page)
Application Deadline: Friday, December 13th at 11:59pm Malibu Time (all references must be submitted by this time)
Two Recommendations: Recommendations must be provided through the online application process.
- One must be from your current or previous RA/SLA.
- The second is a general character reference that can be completed by anyone such as a faculty/staff member, current pastor, or former employer that knows you well. It CANNOT be a family member.
- Round 1: Attend an information session. If you are studying abroad or were unable to attend an info session, please watch the video that will be embedded in the Google form that will be sent to your email inbox along with further instructions.
- Round 2: Online applications/recommendations
- Round 3: Group interviews/mixer**
- Round 4: Individual interviews with RDs**
- Round 5: Offers made (before housing selection)
** We will coordinate with International Programs student applicants to conduct info sessions, group interviews, and online personal interviews.
All current Malibu RA & SLAs will have a separate application process for those interested in re-applying for a position. Please do not fill out the application in the Housing Portal.
If you are a current IP RA or IP student, please watch the RA/SLA informational video and fill out the Google form to be able to gain access to the application in the Housing Portal.