Student-Led Club Convo Leader Policies and Proposal Process
Thank you for your interest in leading a student-led club convo!
Because of the unique nature of this program, it is important that you carefully follow the guidelines listed below. We are happy to help you complete your proposal and better understand any step in this process which is unclear.
We are continuing a new structure in order to accommodate the growing level of interest in this program. There will now be two groups from which you may choose for your Club Convo to meet.
- Group 1 will take place between September 24th and November 2nd.
- Group 2 will take place between October 15th and November 30th.
Student Leader Policies and Guidelines
- Students interested in leading a club convo must have a faculty/staff member that will commit to mentoring them for four sessions throughout the club convo signified by a completed Student Mentor Agreement Form. Attendance at these four mentoring sessions are required for the group to be eligible for convo credit.
- Each club convo leader is eligible to receive ten total credits (one from each the four mentoring sessions and one for each club convo session).
- Student leaders are required to submit a brief session log using the Session Log Form after each meeting which will be shared with the mentor as a point of discussion during their mentorship sessions.
- In order to maintain the specific purpose of club convos as a discussion-based small group, each group is made up of no more than 15 students (16 students including the leader).
- Co-leading is not available.
- Club convos are entirely voluntary and should not be mandatory for anyone to participate in or lead. This includes any mandatory training or meetings (such as service trip training, fraternity/sorority meetings, class projects, etc).
- Each group meets for six 1-hour sessions and a student must attend at least 5 sessions to receive any Convocation credit. The six dates you will meet should reflect the exact dates on your Information form (completed before orientation). If session dates are altered, you must contact the Convocation Program.
ROSTER & ATTENDANCE
- The student leader is responsible to update the Attendance Roster that is shared with them on Google Drive at each session, not all at once at the end of the club convo.
- Include ALL student attendees (by their legal name) and CWID # on the roster regardless of whether they are receiving full credit or not. Include yourself on your roster as the first name on the list.
- No make-up sessions are to be offered for students who missed group sessions. We expect all reports to be accurate and correct as they contribute directly to official University grades.
- Credits will not be listed on club convo participants WaveNet accounts until the final
session has occurred and a completed and correct roster is turned in and processed
by office. In other words, credits will not be updated after each session. You will
receive email confirmation that your roster was successfully processed.
-Group 1 Roster submission deadline: Wednesday, November 15th, 5:00pm
-Group 2 Roster submission deadline: Wednesday, December 5th, 5:00 pm
- Inform your group that if they have any questions regarding their attendance they
should ask you as the leader to ensure they are meeting the requirements for credit.
Club convo credit is based on the following per group:
4 sessions or fewer = 0 credits
5 sessions = 5 credits
6 sessions = 6 credits max
- Student leaders are required to meet with the endorsing faculty/staff member at least four times for a minimum of one hour, with the first session occurring prior to the first club convo meeting.
- Leaders are required to complete session logs for each club convo session that are sent to the mentor. These are meant to be used as a feedback tool, even if it doesn't become the main focus of the discussion.
- The student leader is responsible for recording their attendance after each mentoring session on the space provided in the Attendance Roster. Both the mentor's and leader's signatures are required on the Attendance Roster to receive credit for the mentoring sessions.
- Session Schedule
(Must be prior to first club convo session)
(Must be between end of first club convo session and beginning of second session)
(Must be between end of second club convo session and beginning of fifth session)
(Must be after the sixth and final club convo session and before roster submission deadlines)
- Each club convo leader is eligible to receive 10 total credits (4 for the mentoring
sessions, and 6 for each club convo session). Each participant is able to receive
up to 6 credits, but a minimum of 5. In order for these credits to be administered
to club convo participants as well as the leader the following three items MUST BE TURNED IN.
- Participant Survey Email
- firstname.lastname@example.org must be copied on the email sent to student participants at last session as proof that the surveys went out.
- The Club Convo Attendance Roster
- Must be signed by both the student leader and mentor
- Must have legal first and last name, and attendance recorded after each session.
- The Club Convo Student Leader Session Logs
- Student leaders maintain weekly session logs which are discussed with their mentor and submitted prior to each mentoring session using the Session Log Form.
- (CHANGE) You no longer submit session logs all at once. You submit them one at a time after each session. A session log that is considered complete by our office shows that they were submitted after each session, NOT if they were all submitted at once after the club convo is over.
- Participant Survey Email
Proposal Process and Guidelines
- Student Leader will request the mentorship from a faculty/staff member at Pepperdine.
They may either self-select or ask the Convocation Program to pair them.
- Pairings from our office are subject to mentor availability
- Mentor must complete the 'Student Mentor Agreement Form' before the student leader is able to submit their club convo proposal.
- Propose a Club Convo on the Group 1 or Group 2 Student-Led Club Convo Proposal Form.
- The proposal deadlines are:
-Group 1: Monday, September 10th, 5:00pm
-Group 2: Wednesday October 3rd, 5:00pm
- *Please be aware that proposing in Group 1 requires you to follow the deadlines for Group 1 and proposing in Group 2 requires you to follow the deadlines for Group 2.*
- **All deadlines are on the Convocation Calendar. Refer to this before filling out a proposal.**
- The proposal deadlines are:
- You and your mentor will receive an email from email@example.com stating that your club convo status is pending until reviewed by convocation staff. Once it is reviewed an additional email will be sent with any concerns regarding the proposal structure, spiritual content, or student leader responses
- At your first mentoring session (which must be prior to club convo orientation) you will discuss and address any concerns that were sent from convocation staff, your first club convo session, and plan out your next three mentoring sessions.
- Attend a mandatory Club Convo Orientation which you signed up for on your proposal. If that date needs to change for any reason please contact our office.
- Student Leader will request the mentorship from a faculty/staff member at Pepperdine. They may either self-select or ask the Convocation Program to pair them.
Note: You will not be able to begin your Club Convo until you have completed orientation.
Group 1 Orientation options:
- Tuesday, September 18th, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 19th, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 20th, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
Group 2 Orientation options:
- Tuesday, October 9th, 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 10th, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 11th, 4:00-5:00 p.m.