Lausanne Upper Division French Program
The Intensive French Homestay
In the Lausanne Program's intensive language program, students can complete 8 units of French while living in a homestay with a local family, getting to know Swiss culture, and moving toward French fluency.
May 6th, 2018 - June 28th, 2018
The dates listed above are departure dates from LAX and from the program location back to LAX.
8 unit minimum requirement (one course in May, and one course in June).
Room & Board: $3,794.00
Homestay Housing and Residence Life
The Lausanne Program will arrange a homestay with a local family for each of the Intensive French students. Students will be provided with their own private bedroom and some of their meals in the homestay. For travel between their homestay and the Pepperdine Lausanne facility, students will be provided with a transportation card. Students' French classes will be scheduled during the day, allowing students to return to their host family in the late afternoon, enjoy dinner together, and spend the evening visiting in French.
In order to create a "total immersion" experience that will allow students to make the greatest improvement in their French speaking:
- Students will sign a language pledge, agreeing to speak only in French while in the program (this includes social media!).
- Students will not interact with the GE students or Internship students. They will not enter the main portion of the facility - their courses will be taught in Tinguely classroom.
- Students will not travel the first two weekends of the program, but remain with their host families and engage in local activities.
- While classes will be offered on Monday-Thursday, there may be local excursions planned on Fridays in May as a part of the "Tour de Suisse" class.
- Students will sign a Homestay Contract which clarifies expectations between the host family and the student.
FRE 252 - Second Year French II (4 units) - only offered in the May term
- Prerequisite: FRE 251 or equivalent competency
- As in FRE 251, this course emphasizes language production skills, but focus is on composition and reading literary texts to prepare students for upper-division courses. Students must earn a minimum grade of C- before they can advance to subsequent courses. This course is a prerequisite for all upper-division courses.
FRE 492 - Tour de Suisse (4 units) - only offered in the May term
- Prerequisite: FRE 252
- This course will help students improve their French, all while studying Switzerland, taking local excursions, and discovering this beautiful country's historical and cultural secrets!
FRE 492 - French for Professions (4 units) - only offered in the June term
- Prerequisite: FRE 252
- This course will provide practical and useful linguistic skills - both oral and written - that will equip students to write a professional email, create a CV, attend a job interview, or make a presentation. The aim of this course is to make it possible for students to independently live, work, or study in a French-speaking country!
The Visiting Faculty
Dr. Mina Soroosh
Visiting Assistant Professor, International Studies and Languages Division, Seaver College
Last Updated 09.01.17