Pepperdine University authorized users of Salesforce Marketing Cloud must adhere to
the following policies, as well as the Statement of User Responsibility that all new
users must sign and agree to. Failure to do so will jeopardize the user's access to
Salesforce Marketing Cloud was selected to continue Pepperdine's overall university-wide plan to improve its communication with constituents. The tools within Salesforce Marketing Cloud include mass emailing of targeted institutional communications to managed lists of recipients with a common connection or interest in the university.
This document seeks to establish guidelines for use of Salesforce Marketing Cloud at Pepperdine to promote achievement of its email mass marketing communication goals that include:
- Creating/maintaining a positive perception of the university by our constituents
- Communicating with our constituents in a cost-effective manner
- Managing the appropriateness, quality, and frequency of communication
- Reaching all of our constituents who are interested in receiving these communications while providing the option to opt-out and/or unsubscribe to those who no longer do
- Measure the effectiveness of our communications through click-tracking and various other metrics
Use of Salesforce Marketing Cloud in manners contrary to these guidelines can negatively impact the university's efforts to communicate effectively with our constituents, and may significantly—perhaps irrevocably—damage these relationships. The use of an email mass marketing tool has the potential for much good, but also much harm. Consequently, university personnel using Salesforce Marketing Cloud must take their responsibility seriously to conform to these guidelines in support of the goals stated above. It is assumed that any department seeking to use Salesforce Marketing Cloud will dedicate appropriate resources to ensure this need is met.
As the administrators charged with implementing a university-wide strategy for email marketing, Public Affairs' Integrated Marketing Communications will determine how Salesforce Marketing Cloud will be used and will revoke access for any individual or department that does not comply with these guidelines.
Email Send Calendar
A master calendar is kept to coordinate email sends in order to reduce multiple sends to the same audience. This schedule will serve to prevent our constituents from receiving numerous emails from the university on a single day, therefore reducing our overall opt-out rates. All emails must be scheduled prior to send. The university send calendar is currently hosted on Google Calendar. You will be given access to view this calendar during your Salesforce Marketing Cloud training. Please contact Integrated Marketing Communications for scheduling assistance.
- The United States federal CAN-SPAM Act became law on January 1, 2004. According to their website, the FTC says that if you violate the law, you could be fined $11,000 for each offense (multiply $11,000 times the number of people on your recipient list). ISPs around the country have already successfully sued spammers for millions and millions of dollars under this law.
Below are a few key rules to be aware of:
- Never use deceptive headers, from-names, reply-to, or subject lines.
- Always provide an unsubscribe link.
- Remove recipients from your list within 10 business days.
- The unsubscribe link must work for at least 30 days after sending.
- You must include your physical mailing address in the email (PO Boxes are not sufficient).
- For further information, please visit fcc.gov/encyclopedia/can-spam
- All email communication must adhere to Pepperdine University branding policies listed in the official university style guide. More information can be found at pepperdine.edu/styleguide/branding.
- Three master email templates are available to all users (newsletter, formal letter, and promotional). Users are not permitted to edit the design of these templates or create their own templates.
- Before using images in your emails that you've downloaded from external sources, be sure to review Copyrights for Photography & Video.