Pepperdine Caruso School of Law fields outstanding teams each year to compete against other law schools from across the nation in Mock Trial competitions. Professor Harry Caldwell coordinates the Trial Advocacy Board (known affectionately as "Trial Team"), guiding students through intense training through the Honors Trial Practice course. The Pepperdine Trial Team is known across the country for their incredible history of success at these competitions.
The Cross-Examination Competition is the Trial Team’s Fall intraschool competition, open to all second- and third-year students at CSOL. This competition allows students to showcase their oral advocacy skills in a Mock Trial courtroom.
Cipolla Closing Argument Competition
The Otto Cipolla Closing Argument Competition is the Trial Team’s Spring intraschool competition, which is open to all CSOL law students and serves as an audition for the next year’s Trial Teams. This competition is named for and sponsored by Pepperdine SOL Alum, Otto Cipolla (JD ‘83), who was also honored as Preceptor of the Year for 2013-14.
Ranked #31 in the Country by U.S. News
- Fall 2020, won the All-Star Western Regional Competition and qualified for the National Competition
- Fall 2020, placed 2nd at the All-Star National Competition
- Spring 2021, placed 2nd at the San Fernando Valley Bar Association Mock Trial Competition
- Fall 2021, won the All-Star Western Regional Competition and qualified for the National Competition
- Fall 2021, made the Elite Eight of the All-Star National Competition
- Spring 2022, placed 3rd at the TYLA Regional Competition
- Spring 2022, placed 2nd at the San Fernando Valley Bar Association Mock Trial Competition