PGBS Technology Equipment Surplus Purchases
For those faculty and staff interested in purchasing surplus equipment from the Graziadio School, the policy below will govern these sales. This policy covers laptop or desktop computers, tablets, monitors, other equipment, and items such as desks and chairs.
As part of our computer refresh cycle, we welcome our faculty and staff to purchase any computer and equipment that has passed its useful life to the Graziadio School and is categorized as surplus. During the annual refresh cycle, all computers must be turned into University IT for processing and re-imaging. The Graziadio School will look to retain approximately five good functioning surplus laptops in inventory for our loaner program. These loaner laptops will be selected from recently turned-in surplus machines with higher performance specs. After these five loaners are selected, we will then contact the prior assignee of a computer and give them the first right of refusal to purchase their surplus machine. If they elect to not purchase their machine, the machine will stay in inventory to be sold at a later date.
Computers (Laptops and Desktops)
- Assumed useful life is to coincide with the duration of warranty. In most cases, this will be three (3) years, but could be four (4) years in some cases.
- After the useful life has passed, the residual value for all laptop and desktop computers with less than six (6) full years of service is $200
- For all laptop and desktop computers with more than six (6) full years of service (7 years old), the residual value is $100.
- All laptop and desktop purchases must be confirmed by University IT that all University software and information has been removed from the machine prior to it being sold. Thus, all machines must be turned in for a short period of time while they are re-imaged.
- Tablets with less than three (3) full years of use can be purchased based upon a prorated amount. See example 1 below.
- Tablets with more than three (3) full years of use can be purchased at a price of $75.
- Monitors that are more than five (5) full years old can be purchased at a price of $25.
- Monitors that are more than three (3) full years old and less than 19" in size can be purchased at a price of $25.
- Printers more than three (3) years old can be purchased at a price of $25.
- Keyboards and mice can be purchased at a price of $5.
- If the machine still has a remaining useful life:
- Original purchase price / useful life X remaining useful life = sale price to faculty and staff