Staff Announcement Guidelines
Congratulations: You have a new hire or promotion to announce!
Since the announcement is one of the most important ways you influence how welcomed and valued your employee feels, you should ideally send it on your employee's first day of employment and no later than his or her first week of employment.
The attached worksheet was designed by the GEO team to help you effectively introduce your employee to the faculty and staff community. While it isn't mandatory that you use this worksheet, you may find it helpful when composing your announcement.
The distribution steps are outlined below and on the attachment. Please contact GEO team member Valerie Nowacki (x5534) for additional assistance.
STEPS 1-4 TO BE COMPLETED BY SUPERVISOR A WEEK PRIOR TO EMPLOYEE'S START DATE:
- Notify GEO team member of your hire/promotion a week prior to the person's start date in his/her new role.GEO contact: Valerie Nowacki - Extension 5534 - email@example.com
- Inform your hire that, as part of the introductory process, you will send a photo announcement of him/her to the faculty and staff community on his/her start date.
- If your hire has a professional digital head shot of himself/herself, please forward the photo to the GEO contact. Otherwise, a GEO team member will photograph your hire on his/her first day.
- Write announcement, collaborating with new hire, as appropriate. Please limit announcement to 250-300 words.
STEPS 5-6 TO BE COMPLETED BY SUPERVISOR BY 1:00 PM ON EMPLOYEE'S FIRST DAY:
- Copy and paste your announcement to an e-mail and send it to your hire for review and approval. Please do not share any information that would cause discomfort to your employee.
- Forward approved announcement to GEO contact by 1:00 PM.
STEPS 7-9 TO BE COMPLETED BY GEO TEAM MEMBER BY 3:00 PM ON EMPLOYEE'S FIRST DAY:
- If the hire did not submit a digital head shot to his/her supervisor, take a photograph of the hire and crop/re-size as needed.
- Insert the hire's picture, contact information, and approved announcement into template.
- Forward announcement to supervisor along with distribution instructions.
STEPS 10-11 TO BE COMPLETED BY SUPERVISOR BY 5:00 PM ON EMPLOYEE'S FIRST DAY:
- Review announcement for accuracy.
- Distribute announcement via e-mail.