Tenure-track and tenured faculty are eligible to apply during their sixth year of employment for a sabbatical during their seventh year. Normally, one sabbatical is granted each academic year for one term at full pay, or two terms at one-half pay.
The following criteria, guidelines and procedures constitute the application process. A sample of a previous successful application is available for review upon request to the GSEP Research Committee.
- The primary criterion in considering a sabbatical leave request is the professional
development of the faculty member. There are two dimensions to this criterion:
- the professional development of the faculty member, and
- the professional advantage to the Graduate School of Education and Psychology and Pepperdine University.
Thus, a professional judgment must be made on the value of the planned experience to the individual and to the University.
- A secondary criterion should be the length of service to the Graduate School of Education and Psychology or the length of time since the last sabbatical.
Procedures and Guidelines
Faculty wishing to apply for sabbatical leave should prepare a proposal of not more than five pages which includes, as a minimum, the following five sections:
- Name, title and inclusive target dates of the sabbatical;
- Purpose of the sabbatical;
- Specific activities anticipated to be conducted during the sabbatical;
- The product(s) expected as a result of the sabbatical; and
- Benefits accruing to the individual and to the University as a result of the sabbatical leave.