Skip to main content
Pepperdine | Community

Faculty Handbook

Procedures and Services

A. Payday

Faculty members are paid on a monthly basis. Direct deposit to faculty members' bank accounts is available and is required for all newly hired faculty, or arrangements may be made with the Payroll Office for one's check to be mailed to the faculty member's place of residence. If the 26th falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the salary check will be deposited or mailed on the preceding Friday. If the 26th falls on a holiday, the check is available the last work day immediately prior to the holiday. Ordinarily, faculty members receive their checks earlier than the 26th during the months of November and December due to the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

B. Office Keys and Building Keys

Requests for keys should be made through the Office of the Director of the Graduate Campuses. All keys must be returned promptly upon termination of service with the School.

C. Credit Union

Regular full-time Pepperdine University employees are eligible to join one or more Credit Unions. The University will honor requests for Credit Union deductions from employee paychecks upon receipt of written authorization. Details of membership are available from Center for Human Resources University's Personnel Services Office.

D. Instructional Materials Selection and Ordering

Faculty is responsible for selecting texts for their courses. Changes in adopted texts are made through the appropriate Associate Dean or respective program committee, by the deadline announced each semester for submitting changes. Instructional materials adopted by the faculty may be ordered through the Office of the Associate Dean. Faculty members who routinely teach the same course each year are encouraged to review annually the adopted textbook(s), software, and other instructional materials for the course, and modify the selections to provide the students with the most appropriate curricular materials.

E. Library Services

University Libraries

The Pepperdine University Libraries system includes Payson Library on the main Malibu campus, the Collazo Library on the Dresher Graduate Campus, and five Graduate Campus Libraries. The libraries are headed by the Dean of Libraries, and all libraries are staffed with reference librarians and/or knowledgeable support staff. A University Library Committee serves the libraries in an advisory capacity and aids in the planning and allotment of the book budget to the various departments and schools. Faculty members, program directors, and students are encouraged to recommend new acquisitions. A Faculty Library Handbook containing detailed information about library services is available at each of the Pepperdine University libraries. Library services for faculty are identified as a link from the libraries' web site.

The library collection of Pepperdine University contains nearly 800,000 books and an extensive number of government documents, periodicals, specialized print and non-print materials, and electronic databases. The West Los Angeles Plaza Library collection is the largest of the Graduate Campus Libraries, and includes the ERIC Microfiche Collection and completed Pepperdine Ed.D. and Psy.D. dissertations. Access to electronic databases, whether within the libraries or from the libraries' web site, requires faculty to enter their user name and Pepperdine password.

Library Services and In-Class Instruction

Faculty may use library services by bringing their Pepperdine faculty ID card to the Circulation Desk at a Pepperdine Library for registration into the library system. Pepperdine faculty may borrow books for an initial 90-day period, with two renewals. Restricted lending periods apply to certain types of materials, such as dissertations and videos. All circulating material is subject to recall by another requester. Prompt return of library material is requested. Pepperdine periodicals and reference materials do not circulate.

Faculty may place items for a class on "Reserve" status at the Circulation Desk in the Graduate Campus Library where the class is taught. These materials may either be owned by Pepperdine Libraries or be personal copies of the instructor. Textbooks must be supplied by the department, and photocopies must be made by the faculty member or department. Copyright privileges are the responsibility of the faculty member (see Appendix O for details). Reserve course materials may circulate for a 2-hour, 4-hour, 1-day, 3-day, or 1-week time period depending on course needs. A Reserve Request Card is to be filled out for each item to be placed on Reserve status. Allow one day to process a Reserve request.

Additional library services include the GSEP Document Delivery Service and the Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. With the GSEP Document Delivery Service, periodical articles are copied for GSEP faculty and students at a nearby UC campus. Couriers copy articles only from those periodicals that are not available in the Pepperdine University Libraries system. Requests are submitted on appropriate forms at each of the Graduate Campus libraries with cash pre-payment. The ILL service obtains books, articles, and dissertations not available within the University Libraries' system from other libraries via a national lending network. Requests usually take 2-3 weeks, with fees and borrowing periods set by the lending institution.

Pepperdine librarians provide in-class instruction, workshops, and individual consultation in the use of library resources and information-seeking skills. Instruction may cover strategy and selection of library resources from both print and electronic sources including the ERIC, PsycLIT, PsycINFO, and Research Library databases. To arrange for in-class instruction, contact a librarian at the appropriate Graduate Campus Library at least two weeks prior to the date instruction is needed.

F. Audiovisual Equipment

Audiovisual equipment and services are provided at all graduate campuses. Each request must be submitted in writing 24 hours in advance of the time needed. Audiovisual request forms are available at all graduate campuses and are to be submitted to the Center Coordinator. The equipment is available on a first-come, first-served basis.

G. Parking Arrangements

Security access cards for the West Los Angeles Graduate Campus parking structure may be obtained from the Office of the Graduate Campus Director. These cards allow access to the parking garage, the building, and the elevators. Information regarding parking at the other graduate campuses may also be obtained from the Office of the Graduate Campus Director.

H. Instructional Materials and Office Supplies

Requisitions for materials and supplies for instructional purposes are to be submitted to the appropriate Associate Dean for curricular and budget approval.

I. Room Assignments

The assignment of regular classrooms is made through the designated staff in GSEP who in turn works with the Office of the Graduate Campus Director. Any change of classes from one room to another should be made through this staff person. Any person or group seeking to use a classroom or a conference room for a special meeting should consult this staff person.

J. Academic Processions

GSEP and the University have several occasions during the year at which faculty members wear academic regalia, including convocations and commencements. Faculty members are expected to attend these exercises. Those interested in purchasing a cap and gown may make arrangements through the Office of the Dean. Faculty members are responsible for paying the purchase cost.

K. Art, Printing, and Publication Services

Faculty members who are in need of routine printing services or specialized art techniques (such as drawings and posters for official University, School, or departmental publications) should contact staff in their Division. Charges for services depend primarily on time and materials needed for the services.

L. Word Processing and Duplicating

Faculty may seek the assistance through their Division for duplication of instructional materials. They are encouraged to submit requests for service at least two days before materials are needed in order to allow sufficient time for the work to be completed. A FAX machine and a photocopy machine are available in the School. Individuals using the University's copy machines are expected to abide by the applicable laws.

Duplication of Copyrighted Materials Guidelines

Faculty should follow the laws and regulations when duplicating copyrighted materials. The University's Office of Insurance and Risk Management makes available a booklet titled Questions and Answers on Copyright for the Campus Community that includes software and internet issues, and this documentprovides detailed copying guidelines for classroom and research use.

M. Bookstore Services

The bookstore is operated by the Follett College Stores company and is committed to providing the community with the widest possible selection of goods and services. Particular attention is paid to servicing academic requirements for students and faculty.

N. University Faculty-Staff Directory

A University directory listing faculty and staff is prepared annually and is available here. In addition to University telephone extension numbers, the directory provides residential addresses and telephone numbers for those members of the University community who have authorized their inclusion.

O. Repairs and Replacement

Requests for repairs to existing equipment should be made to the Office of the Associate Dean in the faculty member's Division.

P. Emergency Plans

The University has made emergency plans through its Department of Public Safety in conjunction with the Office of Graduate Campuses. Procedures to follow in the event of an emergency have been identified for the Malibu campus and the four graduate campuses. It is recommended that in the event of an emergency, the Office of Graduate Campuses be contacted at (310) 568-5717 for further procedural directions. The telephone number of the Department of Public Safety is (310) 456-4700.

Campus emergency procedures for earthquakes and fires, as well as the University Safety Policy, are identified in the Disaster Preparedness Section of the Telephone Directory. A more comprehensive list of procedures for additional emergencies is available from the University's Department of Public Safety.

Site-specific procedures for each graduate campus are available from the Campus Director at each location.