Skip to main content
Pepperdine | Community

University Drivers

Pepperdine shuttle bus at CCB

At any given time, there are over one thousand people driving on University business and it is our commitment to ensure safety, protection, and assistance to our drivers at all times. We assist in the driver approval process, if someone is involved in an auto accident, or has questions regarding the University‚Äôs driver policy. 


  Driver Approval Process

1. Complete Driver Status Notification form in Etrieve

  • Include copy of driver's license and proof of insurance as attachments

2. Insurance and Risk will request a Motor Vehicle Record from the DMV

3. A safe driving course is assigned by Insurance and Risk in LearnUpon for:

  1. Employees who drive University-owned or rented vehicles
  2. Student drivers
  3. Vanpool drivers
  • These individuals must pass the course before driving on University business.

4. Drivers will be approved, contingent on Insurance and Risk's receipt of a safe driving record.

  Driver Status Notification

A completed driver status notification form is required prior to an individual driving on University business. 

If an individual transfers to a new department or is rehired after leaving the University, he or she will need to submit a new driver status notification.

  Reporting Vehicle Accidents

If an accident occurs, follow the guidelines below:

1. Ensure all passengers and drivers are out of immediate danger.

2. Seek medical aid for the injured. On the Malibu campus, call Public Safety at (310) 506.4442. At any other location, call 911.

3. If off-campus, notify the local police department of the accident. Note: The police, in many cities, may not respond to vehicle accidents unless there are injuries or significant damage. If the police do not respond, please request to file a police report concerning the collision and proceed to the next steps listed below.

4. State the facts, but NEVER ASSUME OR ADMIT FAULT. (Fault is a legal issue dependent on the facts and is determined by the insurance companies, law enforcement, and the judicial system.)

5. If driving a University vehicle, utilize the forms in the Auto Accident Packet located in the glove compartment. Provide the information on the University Insurance Identification Card to the other party involved. If driving a personal vehicle, provide insurance information for the owner of the vehicle.

  • California insurance laws state that the owner of the vehicle is liable for any accidents caused by the vehicle. Therefore, the vehicle owner's insurance is the primary insurer in the event of an accident.

6. Obtain information from the other driver including their name, address, phone number, driver license number, vehicle make, model, and license plate, and insurance company and policy number.

7. Obtain statements from witnesses, if possible. Ask witnesses to write down their account of the accident and include their name and phone number. Take photos of the scene including vehicles at the point of impact, damage to each vehicle, and the overall scene in each direction.

Report all accidents to your immediate supervisor as soon as possible and to the Office of Insurance and Risk within 24-hours of the incident's occurrence. Submit all Auto Accident Packet forms to the Office of Insurance and Risk: (310) 506.6216.