Effective February 1, 2008, a new University Telecommunications Policy will provide eligible employees with a telecommunications allowance. University-provided cell phones, out-of-pocket reimbursements, and direct payments to vendors with a credit card or PeopleSoft requisition for telecommunications services will not be allowed. Effective January 1, 2008, requests for new cell phone service, equipment or upgrades will no longer be processed.
A telecommunications allowance is non-taxable reimbursement to an employee for the cost of business use on the employee's personal cell phone, data plan or home-based Internet service. The telecommunications allowance is paid in equal installments in a nonexempt employee's biweekly paycheck and in an exempt employee's monthly paycheck. It is non-taxable income that is included in the employee's paycheck.
- Determine Employee Eligibility and Amount of Telecommunications Allowance
- Employee's eligibility according to the Telecommunications Policy.
- Amount based on the Telecommunications Allowance Guidelines and Dollar Limits which has fixed dollar limits, i.e. no other amounts are to be used.
- Selects any service provider and plan features that meet the requirements of the job responsibilities.
- Establishes himself/herself as the billing party.
- Maintains an active service contract as long as the telecommunications allowance is in place. Provides management, upon request, with a copy of the most recent statement.
- Informs the Supervisor, who is responsible for notifying the Payroll Office, to discontinue the telecommunications allowance when the eligibility criteria are no longer met or when the service is cancelled.
- Request, Renew, Change or Cancel a Telecommunications Allowance
- Completes a Telecommunications Allowance Request form. (Request requires annual renewal each fiscal year.)
- Obtains approval from the Major Area Budget Manager and Vice President.
- Submits the form to the Payroll Office.