California Middle Class Tax Refund
In the coming weeks, the State of California will be issuing a one-time tax refund payment to provide relief to eligible Californians. This payment is automatic and there is no required action on your part. As a courtesy, we are glad to provide a summary below.
Based on the number of dependents and adjusted gross income listed on 2020 tax returns, eligible households can expect payments between $200 and $1,050. To be eligible for this one-time refund, Californians must:
- have filed their 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021
- have CA adjusted gross income below $500,000 in 2020
- have been a CA resident for at least 6 months in 2020
- not have been claimed as a dependent in 2020
- be a CA resident on the date the payment is issued
If you qualify for payment and filed California state taxes electronically in 2020 and included a bank routing number on your return, your payment will be issued by direct deposit between October 7 and November 14. If not, you will be mailed a pre-loaded debit card between October 25, 2022, and January 15, 2023.
Visit the Franchise Tax Board website to learn more about the Middle-Class Tax Refund and to estimate your payment amount.