Pepperdine University Vice Chancellor, Hauteville Campus
Vice Chancellor, Hauteville Campus
Pepperdine seeks to make the community aware of a new position and opportunity related to the Switzerland international program. The Vice Chancellor, Hauteville Campus will serve as the senior operational leader of the University’s new campus in Blonay-St. Legier, Switzerland.
The Vice Chancellor of Hauteville Campus is a unique position requiring proven business acumen, an understanding of academic processes, and a myriad of administrative skills. The vice chancellor will serve as the senior operational leader of the University’s new campus in Blonay-St. Legier Switzerland, reporting to the University’s executive vice president. The individual holding this position will be called upon to interact with the president, provost, and the University’s Board of Regents on a regular basis with respect to the use and success of the Hauteville campus.
- Further the University’s Christian mission by living the precepts of the Christian faith in a sincere and genuine manner, exemplifying Christian leadership, and encouraging the same.
- Recognize the student as the heart of the enterprise, and help center the campus around this core principle.
- Promote collaborative and interdisciplinary relationships among the undergraduate and graduate schools resident on the campus.
- Assist and collaborate with the president, chancellor, and vice president for advancement in meeting the University’s fundraising goals for the campus.
- Manage all operational aspects of the campus, including but not limited to:
- Collaborating with the various schools represented on campus to ensure that students,
faculty, and staff for each school are receiving all they need from the University
and the campus.
- Overseeing operational policies and procedures.
- Handling all operational issues and programmatic coordination.
- Overseeing day-to-day operations, including financial matters, human resources, and property management.
- Overseeing the planning, maintenance, and efficiency of the 67-acre estate.
- Negotiating contracts relating to University operations.
- Managing outside contractors.
- Managing outside lawyers, accountants, and other professionals.
- Preparing operational and management reports.
- Ensuring compliance on a local, state, and federal level.
- Spearheading community relations.
- Driving risk management and minimizing losses.
- Marketing and organizing conferences, partnerships, events, and other revenue-generating endeavors to be scheduled around the academic programming.
- Balancing the campus operations budget.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Skills and Qualifications
The vice chancellor must understand Swiss/European culture, American culture, and Pepperdine culture; be fluent in the French language and/or the German language (the two primary languages spoken in Switzerland); understand academic concepts and processes; comprehend complex legal and regulatory issues; have significant experience in negotiation and dispute resolution; and be a skilled collaborator/organizer/presenter. A record of accomplishment in executive level leadership, superior project management experience, exceptional analytical and communication skills, an in-depth knowledge of the University’s business infrastructure, a successful record of personnel and budget management, and proven aptitude in problem-solving and decision-making are critical for success in the role. In addition to creativity and strategic thinking, the vice chancellor must possess exemplary leadership skills, sound financial and personnel management experience, a collaborative working style, and the ability to remain positive and calm in stressful situations. A strong academic background is required for consideration. The candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree (with an advanced degree preferred).
The vice chancellor must be able to demonstrate an intimate understanding of the University’s history, current operations, and mission -- which includes the University’s affiliation with the Churches of Christ. Because reputation and relationship development is so important to the success of the campus, the vice chancellor is specifically charged with cultivating new and deeper partnerships with top-tier Swiss educational institutions, foundations, corporations, associations, government and community leaders, board members, donors, and friends. The vice chancellor must have the ability to work closely with the president, provost, and others to comprehend, create, implement, and lead a comprehensive strategy for this campus that informs and supports the University’s Strategic Plan.
The University’s mission is foundational for the Pepperdine community and must animate this position and its leader. In this vein, the vice chancellor should care deeply about Pepperdine, live out its Christian mission, and be able to effectively articulate its promise and possibility to people familiar with and new to the University. A successful candidate will in word, deed, and professional image represent the highest ideals of respectability, integrity, competence, judgment, maturity, tact, and discretion.
Qualified individuals should be able to articulate a strong commitment to diversity, and have the ability to work effectively with individuals from different backgrounds.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal, education, and employment screening. Qualified individuals with criminal histories will be considered for employment in compliance with applicable laws.
This is an exempt, 40 hour per week position based in Blonay-St. Legier, Switzerland.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To view and apply to this position, please visit the Internal Jobs Posting board on
Wavenet (under Employee Resources).