While it is impossible, with 100% certainty, to prevent yourself from becoming a victim, there are steps that you can take to decrease the odds. There are ways to reduce your risks of sexual misconduct, to increase your own safety. You are worth it!
- Be aware. Pour your own drinks (of any kind) and hold your own drink all evening.
- Communicate with others about your plans. Let your friends know when to expect you home.
- If you go to parties, go with friends, and leave with friends. Avoid being isolated. Do not leave with someone you don't know well and/or feel uneasy about. Trust your instincts.
- Communicate your sexual desires and limits. You have the right to change your mind; communicate that clearly too.
- Avoid walking alone at night. Consider calling DPS at 310.506.4442 for an escort. If you do walk alone, walk assertively, stay close to the curb, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep your residence hall doors locked at night and any time you leave.
- Do not invite people you don't know well into your room alone. Let an RA, hall director, or DPS Officer know if you need help getting an unwanted guest to leave your room.