Skip to main content
Pepperdine | Community

Teaching and Student Support During Malibu Campus Closures

The following questions and answers supplement Seaver College's general guidelines for remote teaching and Pepperdine University's academic continuity plan. This page focuses on unplanned closures of the Malibu campus; another page addresses closures of International Programs campuses. Please direct unanswered questions to Kindy De Long.

Student Support and Resources

 Will the Student Success Center continue to offer tutoring and other services?

Yes. The Student Success Center is offering regular in-person tutoring through March 13. The SSC will take a one-week break from group tutoring sessions from March 16 to March 20 to give tutors time to get settled. The center plans to resume group tutoring via Zoom on March 23, depending on tutor availability. Remote appointment-based, individual math tutoring will be available beginning March 16. Visit the Seaver Student Success Center website for the latest information.

 What should I do if I know about a student who is facing challenges?

If the challenges are not academic in nature, contact the Student Care Team by emailing La Shonda Coleman. If the challenges are academic and beyond the scope of a single class or division (such as lack of a computer or of access to broad-band internet), encourage the student to complete the Seaver College Student Academic Challenges form. Information on this form will go directly to the Seaver Dean's office. If you'd like to consult with someone in the dean's office, contact Kindy De Long.

 How will I implement OSA accomodations during remote classes and assessments?

The Office of Student Accessibility will continue to provide note-takers for classes where there is currently a note-taker. The note-takers will take notes in your online class in the same way they take notes in your face-to-face class. If a student has extended time on an exam, please provide the appropriate extended time to that particular student. Some students have time and a half extended time. This means for an hour exam, they would receive an hour and one-half for the exam. Some students have double time extended time. If the rest of the class receives an hour for the exam, this student would receive two hours. If you are providing your exam on Courses, you may work with your technology liaison to configure the exam with the appropriate exceptions. If you are planning on proctoring the exams, remember to allow students with extended time to have their additional time without disruption. Some other accommodations may not be necessary to implement, such as word processors for essay exams, as the student will already be accommodated by using a computer. Please remember that everyone benefits when videos are captioned. If you have specific questions that are not answered, please feel free to call (310.506.6500) or email ( ) our office at anytime. We are here to support you as you provide access to your classes and exams.

 What should I do about specialized software or equipment needed by students for projects but only available on campus?

Consult with your division. Students who remain nearby may be able to use campus resources. Divisions will be thinking creatively to enact solutions for those who do not have access. Faculty should take care to ensure equity in evaluation of student work regardless of access to these resources.

Faculty Support and Resources

 How may faculty gain access to books and other on-campus resources?

Payson Library is open. Check the website for the latest information on hours and services. The campus is accessible to faculty.

 What if I need software or equipment in order to teach effectively online?

Discuss this need with your divisional dean. The intent of the college is to provide resources to faculty, within reason, to support effective online teaching. If you feel you need something but are not clear what product would meet this need, feel free to consult with Chris Heard of the CTE.

 How do I report information about how I taught remotely?

Revised syllabi should be submitted to divisions within a week of beginning online instruction. Watch for additional information from Paul Begin.

Class Activities

 May I change my course learning outcomes?

No. The student learning outcomes from the original syllabus should remain the same. The goal is to meet the learning outcomes of the course by the end of the semester in a way that works for everyone given the various challenges. Faculty are encouraged to be creative and flexible in the process of meeting these outcomes.

 What are the expectations for instructional hours?

You should offer the same amount of instructional hours as you would if you were teaching the course face-to-face. The credit hour policy is one hour of instructional time plus two hours of outside work per week for every unit of coursework. "Instructional hours" refers to the delivery and discussion/processing of new material. This material can be delivered synchronously, asynchronously, or in some combination. "Instructional time" could be a recorded lecture or a live synchronous lecture. It could be a third-party video followed by group discussion via Zoom followed by designated asynchronous class time to write a reflection on Courses. It could be a live discussion on Zoom or asynchronous discussion on the Courses discussion board. "Outside work" (preparation, projects) is in addition to the time of direct instruction.

 Should I teach synchronously or asynchronously?

We are encouraging as much synchronous instruction as possible in order to continue the learning communities that we value so highly at Seaver College. However, faculty should also accommodate students who reside in very different time zones, recording sessions for those students or offering alternatives. Most faculty will probably adopt a hybrid model of synchronous and asynchronous sessions. All synchronous sessions should be conducted during the normal class meeting time. Fully synchronous classes face issues with technology (poor sound, poor lighting, poor connection, etc.). Recording synchronous sessions is highly recommended. (Get permission from your students to record their faces/voices.) We encourage using Zoom through Courses, as recorded sessions will be accessible only to your class.

 I usually do a lot of group work in class. How can I replicate that online?

Zoom has a breakout room tool that is useful for synchronous group work. See the Zoom training materials provided by TechLearn.

 What about classes with extensive in-class components such as performances and labs or service-learning requirements?

These types of classes will require creative solutions. Divisions are working with faculty to develop strategies. The CTE is also compiling ideas and resources. Please reach out to Chris Heard with specific questions. Christin Shatzer Román, director of the Community Engagement and Service, and Regan Schaffer, professor of organizational behavior and management and director of the nonprofit leadership collaborative, are also able to help with ideas for service-learning components. The CTE will host online brainstorming sites and virtual "Coffee with a Colleague" sessions (on Wednesdays at 10 a.m.) so that faculty can share ideas.

 How will I administer exams?

Check the CTE for "best practices" on giving exams online. We are looking into software for proctoring electronic exams, and if we are able to provide this, we will advise all faculty.

 Should I ask a student's family member to proctor an exam?

No. Involving family members in exam proctoring is a potential FERPA violation and is not sound pedagogical practice. Please see the CTE's Best Practices for Online Tests for other ideas.

 Is it okay to request that teams of students continue to work together on projects during this time away from campus?

Yes. Please use discretion knowing that students have been impacted in various degrees and in a variety of ways.

 What if students experience challenges related to internships in which they are enrolled?

Please contact Dana Dudley. We will work on a case-by-case basis to find solutions.

Note: Faculty are encouraged to consult the "Keep on Teaching" resources from the Center for Teaching Excellence and TechLearn's Academic Continuity page for many ideas and resources.

Co-Curricular Activities

 Can students who are a part of the faculty-student mentor program work remotely?

Yes. This has been confirmed by student employment. Students should submit hours to Kronos as usual.

 What about meetings with students not tied to a particular class (such as work with the Graphic)? What resources are available?

The Zoom license provided to each faculty member accommodates groups of up to 100 participants at a time. This is not tied to a specific class so it can be used for needs outside of classes. We encourage replicating the in-person experience as much as possible.

 What is the minimum number of internship hours students need to meet and how should students share the amount they have completed?

Ask the student to document and submit to you the number of internship hours completed thus far. The minimum amount of hours students need to complete are outlined below:

  • 1 unit = at least 45 internship hours
  • 2 units = at least 90 internship hours
  • 3 units = at least 135 internship hours
  • 4 units = at least 180 internship hours

a.) If they have met the minimum number of hours and achieved the learning outcomes, document this. Have the student submit any remaining assignments from the syllabus. Be prepared to post the grade at the appropriate time.

b.) If they have not met the minimum number of hours, explore the options below:

  1. Can the student continue their internship through the end of the term either
      in person or remotely
    ? Does the student want to? If yes, have them do so. Make sure they meet the minimum number of internship hours / unit registered and fulfill the learning outcomes by the end of the spring term. Document this. 
    NOTE: We are allowing students to complete internships remotely for the Spring 2020 term. This is not a change in our long-term policy.
  2. If a student cannot continue their internship either in person or remotely (to meet the hours requirement and the student learning outcomes) develop strategies for them to meet the learning outcomes in other ways. Some possibilities include:
    1. Informational interviews completed remotely.
    2. Research industry trends or challenges. Write a brief paper to demonstrate mastery of that learning outcome.
    3. Exploration of career paths in their industry of interest through viewing videos in the Road Trip Nation video archive. Write a reflection.
      1. Road Trip Nation
        1. Unique Pepperdine code: PEPP19
      2. Share Your Road
        1. Create account with ema
  3. Use of other technologies offered through the Career Center:
    1. V-Mock AI Resume Review 
    2. PepConnect (Online Mentoring)

*For assistance with any of these platforms contact the Career Center at

 What is the policy for students seeking a “W” or an “I”?

The policy and deadlines would be the same as other academic courses.

 Should students continue interning if it is with vulnerable populations?

Each organization will likely have their own guidelines and may ask interns not to return. We will work through these on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions, please contact Dana Dudley to develop a plan.

 Should students continue interning if he/she is a member of a vulnerable population?

Students should prioritize their health and make wise choices. Please work with him or her to find alternative ways to meet the learning outcome. If you have questions, please contact Dana Dudley.


 Are incompletes an option for students?

Yes. We will use our regular process to manage those requests.


 May I conduct my class in person, on campus for those students who are in the area?

No. All classes are being conducted remotely.

 Can students access physical resources on campus, such as research labs and music practice rooms?

As of March 12, campus spaces are open to students, but keep in mind that gatherings of students are discouraged and events with 100 or more are not allowed. Please monitor university announcements, as the situation may change.

 Are faculty and staff able to use the “hotel offices” at other campuses?

All campuses are currently open.