Prepare to Go Abroad in Six Steps
You Did It!
Congratulations on your acceptance to a Pepperdine International Program! You are now part of a proud legacy that spans generations and stretches across continents. Ask any IP alum and they will tell you that your study abroad transformation doesn't start when your airplane lands - it starts NOW! The information below will help you as you begin your journey, and if you have questions, our office is here to help.
Study Abroad in Six Steps:
Remember to check your Pepperdine email regularly for information on IP Preparation. IP Bound emails include links to all the forms listed below, as well as deadlines and other important information. You can also find information about upcoming deadlines and events on our Calendar page.
Prep Your Passport (and Second Passport, if needed)
- Complete the Travel Questionnaire.
- Complete this form as soon as you are accepted to an IP program. This form will help you figure out if you need to renew your passport and/or obtain a second passport.
- If needed, apply to renew or obtain a passport.
- Apply for your passport as soon as possible, to avoid expediting fees and issues with your visa application and flights.
- Submit a copy of your valid passport to IP.
- Submit a copy of your passport to IP as soon as it is available, but by no later than the January prior to your summer and/or academic year abroad.
- If needed, apply for a second passport.
- If you need a second passport, first ensure your first passport is up to date, then apply for your second passport as soon as possible.
- If required, submit a copy of your second passport to IP.
- Submit a copy of your second passport to IP as soon as it is available, but by no later than the April prior to your summer and/or academic year abroad.
- Complete the Travel Questionnaire.
Secure Your Visa.
- Find out if you need a visa for your program and/or Educational Field Trip(s).
- Attend your Preparation & Visa Workshop.
- See our Calendar Page for details, and keep an eye on your email.
- If needed, apply for your visa(s).
- If you are a U.S. passport holder, follow the instructions and deadlines specified during your visa workshop. If you are a non U.S. passport holder, keep an eye on your email for instructions and contact the IP office for additional information.
- Submit a copy of your visa to IP.
- Submit a copy of your visa as soon as you receive it, but by no later than 2 weeks prior to your departure.
Register for Classes.
- Get advising from your major advisor or contact International Programs for advice on which classes to take prior to and during your abroad experience.
- In the terms prior to studying abroad, register for any prerequisites that you need to take before going abroad. Your registration appointment is listed
on your WaveNet account.
- Registration for spring and summer terms takes place in November of the year prior.
- Registration for the fall term takes place in April.
- In the term immediately prior to studying abroad, register for the courses you will take abroad. Your registration appointment is listed on your WaveNet account.
- You are required to attend the mandatory Orientation Session(s) for your program and
complete all required Orientation modules.
- Orientations take place during the spring prior to your summer or academic year program. Spring Only students will also be required to attend an additional orientation in the November prior to their departure. Details will be emailed to you.
- It's a good idea to attend additional events offered by IP, such as Financial Literacy Workshops, Convocations and group events with your IP cohort.
Complete your Health Clearance Form and submit to IP.
Health Clearance Forms must be submitted between 90 and 45 days prior to your departure.
- Learn about GeoBlue Global Health Services.
- Register for any necessary accommodations with the Office of Student Accessibility.
- Submit documentation of required vaccinations, if necessary.
- Make a plan to maintain your physical, spiritual and mental well-being before, during and after your study abroad experience.
- Review the Flight Booking Instructions and Flight Policies.
- Complete the Flight Form.
- Flight forms are due on the date specified by the IP office.
- Student are required to book travel individually through Pepperdine's travel partner, Corniche Travel. Students should not book travel independently.
- Create an emergency envelope.
- Pack your bags!
You probably have more questions about your specific program, which is why we have program pages with lots of detailed info! Find yours by clicking here. Deadlines and events are also listed on our Calendar page. As always, if you have questions please don't hesitate to connect with us virtually.