Health Insurance FAQs

Who can I speak with about health insurance?

To learn more about SHIP, SHIP enrollments, information for those graduating in December, the insurance requirement, or to access the SHIP brochure, please utilize the Academic HealthPlans customer care online resource center.

How do I pay for insurance coverage?

To meet the University health insurance requirement, new and returning students must select one of two options on the APH Insurance Dashboard:

  1. Confirm the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) option by clicking the ENROLL button, or
  2. Provide proof of an existing health insurance plan by clicking the WAIVE button


  • To log into the system, students will need to enter their Pepperdine campus-wide identification (CWID) number and password. CWID numbers can be found on the front of student ID cards or in the "personal info" section on WaveNet.
  • When students first log into the system, their password is their date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY).

Students who do not provide proof of U.S. based insurance and have an approved waiver notification through the AHP Insurance Dashboard prior to the September 5 deadline are automatically enrolled in SHIP to meet the University's health insurance requirement and are responsible for the charge on their student account.

Health Center Referral Requirement

Students enrolled in SHIP are required to schedule an appointment at the Student Health Center during business hours for a referral, before visiting an outside doctor. The insurance plan will not cover any bills that do not have a Student Health Center referral. No referral is required for emergency room care or gynecology annual exams. Please refer to your current Anthem Benefits brochure for other exceptions to the referral requirement.

Can I see any doctor?

After you have visited the Student Health Center and obtained a referral, you can then see a doctor of your choice. However, it is best to see a doctor who is "in-network," as your health insurance will provide more benefits.

How do I find an “in-network” doctor or a hospital?

To find an "in-network" doctor, visit Anthem's website and click on "find a doctor." Follow the steps to locate the doctors and hospitals that are "in-network". You can also call 855.296.0864 to find an "in-network" doctor or a hospital. Be sure to confirm online listings are still Anthem providers.

How do my bills get paid?

The Student Health Center does not bill insurance companies directly. You will be able to charge your student account and a receipt with the necessary insurance codes will be given to you to submit to Anthem claims for reimbursement. If you visit an "in-network" doctor or a hospital, they will send the bills directly to the insurance company for payment. But, if you receive a bill from the doctor/hospital, that means they do not have your health insurance plan information to send the bills to the company. In this case, you can call the doctor's office to give your insurance information or mail the bill to the claims administrator at the address below:

Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company
P.O. Box 60007
Los Angeles, CA 90060

Who do I speak to if I have a question about my claim?

Call Anthem Customer Service at 855.296.0864. Have your insurance card in hand and be ready to give the date of service you are calling about.

Does my coverage include vision and dental?

SHIP does not include vision or dental other than services related to sickness or injury.

What happens when I graduate?

Students who purchase SHIP and graduate during the term for that policy period are eligible to enroll in the following term plan. To do this, they must contact Academic HealthPlans to inform them of their graduation date and desire to enroll in the "continuation plan" for the next term policy period. Students who did not purchase SHIP for the term they graduate are not eligible for the continuation plan.

I waived the Student Health Insurance Plan, but I no longer have comparable health insurance. What should I do?

You are required to maintain comparable health insurance at all times during your approved waiver period. If your private health insurance coverage is terminated during the waiver period, you are required to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) or anther plan that is comparable. To enroll in SHIP, you must notify the University's broker, Academic HealthPlans. Your SHIP will take effect as of the date of your request.

I enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan, but I never received my ID card. What should I do?

First, check your WaveNet account to set your local and permanent mailing addresses. Then, contact Academic HealthPlans to make sure they have that same mailing address on file. Once your correct address is confirmed, you should request they mail your card to you. Ask for your Anthem Medical ID# so that you can go online and print a temporary card.

What if I need to go to the Emergency Room (ER) or I am hospitalized?

If possible, go to an in-network facility. Be sure to request that all components of your care are Anthem providers (doctors, radiologists, anesthesiologists, etc.), otherwise your out-of-pocket cost may be very high. Be sure to have your insurance ID card with you so that billing will go directly to your carrier.


It is wise to carry your insurance card with you at all times. The insurance card is proof that you have insurance and provides all the insurance information that the doctor or the hospital needs to send the bills to the company.