School of Public Policy Health Insurance Requirement
Each academic year all SPP students, both domestic and international, including those studying abroad, are required to either provide proof of a US-based health insurance plan or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through their AHP Insurance Dashboard. This is an annual requirement to ensure all students have an active health insurance plan in place while studying at Pepperdine, and it is highly recommended that all students confirm their health insurance plan includes care close to Malibu. If students choose not to enroll in SHIP, they must provide proof of a comparable* US-based health insurance plan through their AHP Insurance Dashboard.
AHP Insurance Dashboard Guidance
To meet the University health insurance requirement, new and returning students must select one of two options on their AHP Insurance Dashboard:
- Confirm the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) option by clicking the ENROLL button, or
- Provide proof of an existing US-based health insurance plan by clicking the WAIVE button
- To log into the system, students will need to enter their Pepperdine campus-wide identification (CWID) number and password. CWID numbers can be found on the front of student ID cards or in the "personal info" section on WaveNet.
- When students first log into the system, their password is their date of birth (MMDDYYYY).
Spring 2024 Waiver Submissions, Deadlines, and Premium Charges
AHP Insurance Dashboard is Open
November 15, 2023 - February 1, 2024: Select one of two options on their AHP Insurance Dashboard to meet the University's health insurance requirement. Students with a health insurance plan comparable to SHIP must complete an online waiver form before the January 3, 2024, waiver deadline.
*US-based health insurance, compliant with the Affordable Care Act, is the only individual insurance plan that is approved for waiver out of SHIP. Neither health share plans nor plans based outside of the United States are subject to the rights and protections offered under the ACA law and will not be approved on a waiver application.
SHIP Charges Post
January 4, 2024: Fall SHIP charges post to the student accounts of all eligible students who have selected the SHIP option or have not completed an online waiver submission through their AHP Insurance Dashboard and received an approved waiver notification by January 3, 2024.
January 4, 2024 - February 1, 2024: Final opportunity for students who have not completed the University's health insurance requirement through their AHP Insurance Dashboard to select from the two available options. Students who select to waive out of the SHIP option, complete a waiver request, and receive an approved waiver notification during this time will have the premium charges reversed from their student accounts.
Grace Period Ends
February 1, 2024: Charges for SHIP will only be reversed for students who submit proof of insurance through their AHP Insurance Dashboard between November 15, 2023 - February 1, 2024, and receive an approved waiver notification. If the waiver is submitted and approved after the January 3, 2024, deadline and SHIP charges post to the student account, the charge will be reversed.
Students who do not provide proof of US-based insurance and have an approved waiver notification through their AHP Insurance Dashboard prior to the end of the Grace Period, February 1, 2024, are automatically enrolled in SHIP to meet the University's health insurance requirement and are responsible for the charge on their student account.
- $2,117 (Policy Period: 01/01/2024-08/14/2024)
- Non-degree and exchange students are not required to provide proof of health insurance coverage and are not eligible to purchase SHIP.
- Students graduating in the spring who enroll in SHIP for the spring 2024 term will have the option to enroll in fall 2024 SHIP by completing a Continuation Insurance application with Academic HealthPlans by the September 5th enrollment deadline.
To learn more about SHIP, SHIP enrollments, or to access the SHIP brochure, please visit Academic HealthPlans' customer care online resource center.