Student Employment | International Students
International students may work on-campus at GSEP. In order to comply with all federal employment and tax policies, it is necessary to ensure the following procedures have been properly completed. Please also visit The Office of International Student Services (OISS) information regarding On-Campus Employment.
If you are still looking for a job, please visit Handshake via your wavenet account. Once you have been offered and accepted a position with a faculty or staff member, please make an appointment with the GSEP Student Employment Office. Your faculty or staff supervisor should begin the hiring process by filling out an Assistantship Agreement. It is important to realize that an international student cannot begin working for the University prior to completing all employment requirements. There are no exceptions. This process can take some time, so we encourage you to be proactive and patient.
The next steps include
- Obtaining a letter from GSEP Student Employment regarding your position.
- Obtaining a letter from OISS regarding your enrollment status at the University.
- Visit an office of the Social Security Administration (SSA) to apply for a Social Security Card. You will need to bring the following items with you: Passport, Form I-20, Form I-94, Employment Letter from GSEP Student Employment Office, and Enrollment Verification Letter from OISS.
- Obtain a letter from SSA stating that you may begin working while your SSN application is being processed.
- Make an appointment with GSEP Student Employment Office to complete important employment requirements. Bring with you your Passport, Form I-20, Form I-94, and Letter/Receipt from the SSA.
- Schedule an appointment with the Payroll Office to complete additional employment requirements (or arrange to complete these requirements through the GSEP Student Employment Office).
- NOTE: You may begin working only after hearing from the Payroll Office and GSEP Student Employment that your employment requirements have been fully completed.