Writing Support Resources
Turnitin is a software application that allows you to check your research papers and dissertations electronically against all Internet and digitized documents to ensure adequate quoting, paraphrasing, and referencing. The software is now available to all GSEP students through Courses powered by Sakai, so you can now independently check your documents and prevent plagiarism.
GSEP has purchased a license with Grammarly@EDU for all of its students. To sign up:
1. Go to https://www.grammarly.com/edu/signup
2. Click "Join your organization."
3. Provide your name, @pepperdine.edu email, and password.
4. Check your inbox for the email and click on the activation link.
5. Insert this access code when prompted: fwXQZ3uJGfscjucz
6. You should now have access to GSEP's premium Grammarly account.
Download the Apps
To make sure you get the most out of Grammarly, we have some additional helpful features for Microsoft Word, Internet browsers, emails, and the desktop! All components can be downloaded from https://app.grammarly.com/apps or at the links below:
· MS Office plug-in: https://www.grammarly.com/office-addin
· Desktop Apps: https://www.grammarly.com/native/
· Browser extensions:
ESL Grammar Resource Site (Rong Chang Lee, Ph.D) : provides extensive information on common areas of concern for ESL students, with a focus on grammar and style.
Capital Community College Foundation ESL Grammar Quiz Site: a comprehensive collection of grammar quizzes aimed at identifying and remedying common grammar issues; each quiz represents a different area of focus.
The Dissertation Process
- Dissertation Requirements
- Dissertation Copyright Information
- Conceptualizing a Dissertation
- All But Dissertation (ABD) Resources
Links to Dissertation Samples:
- Sample Four-Chapter Psychology Dissertation (APA 6th edition)
- Sample Manuscript Style Psychology Dissertation (APA 6th edition)
Links to some good school-specific sites that provide additional guidelines for developing and formatting dissertations as well as links to text and Web resources for dissertation writers:
Writing and Mechanics
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL) – This is a good source for general writing resources as well as instructional materials. Contains an array of information ranging from ESL resources, to creative writing support and setting-specific writing guidelines.
- George Mason University’s Writing Center Quick Guides – A library of writing resource handouts available in a variety of formats.
- University of Toronto, Scarborough Writing Centre: Academic Style - Web page contains downloadable handouts on academic writing.
- Writing Support Handouts:
Plagiarism and How to Avoid it
Writing Tips and Strategies (YouTube Videos)
Visit Assistant Manager of Writing Support Julie Stiegemeyer's YouTube channel for writing tips on a variety of topics, such as APA formatting, grammar, punctuation, and strategies for writers.