Lausanne Internship Program
The Internship Program
Internship languages: English or French!
Students who participate in the Lausanne Internship Program will have the opportunity to experience the international and intercultural aspects of businesses and organizations in Lausanne and the surrounding area while also gaining professional skills needed in the workplace. Students will work with the Lausanne Internship Coordinator to find an internship that fits with their area of study and interests (examples of types of internships include a focus on marketing, finance, non-profits, humanitarian work, and more). All majors are encouraged to apply!
Students will receive 4 units of elective credit for their internship, in addition to a 1 unit French or Humanities class.
As part of your International Programs Application in Wavenet, you will be directed to the Internship Application Form. You will complete this form, and you will be given a code to enter into your International Programs Application before you click "submit."
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by the Lausanne Internship Coordinator with a request to schedule a virtual interview over Skype. You will be asked to send an updated resume, cover letter, and a reference name and contact information no later than 24 hours before the interview. Your reference should be a professor who knows you well and can speak to your internship potential. Please note that by providing the name and email of this professor, you are waiving all rights to view/know the information exchanged.
If you are not selected, we will also send you an email to let you know that you are not being considered at this time. Submitting an application does not guarantee an interview.
In addition to the normal International Programs application criteria, your acceptance into an internship program will also take the following things into consideration:
- Work and internship experience
- Intercultural experience
- Personal and professional fit of the internships available
May 5, 2019 - June 26, 2019
The dates listed above are departure dates from LAX and from the program location back to LAX.
Tuition: $1,685.00 per unit (standard Malibu summer tuition rate)
Room & Board: $3,934.00
Program Specific Costs: City Bed Tax - $130*, Swiss Health Insurance - $200*
*Charged to student account
5 unit minimum requirement. All Lausanne internship students will take IPIN 495, IPIN 495L and will choose between either FRE 121 (1 unit) or HUM 295 (1 unit). Students must take FRE 121 if they have no previous French language experience, even if they have met their GE language requirement with another language. Students that have already completed FRE 151 or higher must enroll in HUM 295.
FRE 121 - French Language and Culture (1)
- Teaches basic, practical conversation and limited reading and writing skills along with a study of French culture. This course does not prepare a student to take FRE 152. Taught only in the French language program during the summer term.
HUM 296 - Enriching the International Experience II (1)
- This course is designed to enrich the student's international experience by providing opportunities to engage more fully with the culture and to reflect more deeply on the experience. It is the goal of this course to help students know how to look at and listen to their new culture and how to give meaning to their international experience. Taught only in International Programs. May be repeated in a different location. Cr/NC grading only.
IPIN 495 - International Programs' Internship (1)
- A supervised academic internship in a student's area of interest overseas in an international program. Internships may be with a non-profit, government agency, political, religious, educational, business or humanitarian organization. The student is required to maintain a regular schedule of on-duty hours each week and attend the internship seminar. Offered only in International Programs.
IPIN 495L - International Programs' Internship II (3)
- Designed to accompany IPIN 495 in cases where a student seeks additional internship units. Offered only in International Programs. To be taken concurrently with IPIN 495. Cr/NC grading only.
PE 191 - Individual Exercise (1)
- International Programs only. Extra fee required.
Prof. Karine Grivet