Lausanne French Internship Program
The Lausanne French Internship Program
Internship language: French
Would you like to work in a French-speaking country or company one day? The Lausanne
French Internship Program is designed exactly for this you - it will improve your
French-speaking proficiency, give critical French experience in the workplace, provide
professional workplace skills, and allow you to explore the international and intercultural
aspects of businesses and organizations in Lausanne and the surrounding area! You
will work directly with the Lausanne Internship Coordinator, Karine Grivet (contact
information below), to find an internship that fits with your area of study and interests
- whether it is in marketing, finance, non-profits, humanitarian work, and more.
All students with sufficient French skills (especially minors and majors) are encouraged
Students will receive 4 units of credit for their internship (FRE 495) and 4 units
of upper division French (FRE 492). Students must have completed FRE 252 to participate
in this internship program; if a student does not have formal classroom training in
French but speaks the language proficiently, the student can appeal to Karine Grivet
for an exception.
As part of your International Programs Application in WaveNet, you will be directed
to the Internship Application Form. You will complete this form, and you will be given
a code to enter into your International Programs Application before you click "submit."
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted by the Karine Grivet with
a request to schedule a virtual interview over Skype. You will be asked to send an
updated resume, cover letter, and a reference name and contact information no later
than 24 hours before the interview. Your reference should be a professor who knows
you well and can speak to your internship potential. Please note that by providing
the name and email of this professor, you are waiving all rights to view/know the
If you are not selected, we will also send you an email to let you know that you are
not being considered at this time. Submitting an application does not guarantee an interview.
In addition to the normal International Programs application criteria, your acceptance into an internship program will also take the following things into consideration:
- Work and internship experience
- Intercultural experience
- Personal and professional fit of the internships available
May 9th, 2020 - June 30th, 2020
The dates listed above are departure dates from LAX and from the program location back to LAX.
Tuition: $1,745 per unit (standard Malibu summer tuition rate)
Room & Board: $3,990
Program Specific Costs: City Bed Tax - $130*, Swiss Health Insurance - $200*
*Charged to student account
Required Vital Documents and Deadlines
Completed IP Document Submission Form, including the following documents:
- Passport Copy: due January 17, 2020
- Health Clearance Form and Flight Itinerary (for flight exempt students only): due March 13, 2020
- Visa Copy (for students requiring a visa only): due April 24, 2020
8 units minimum requirement. All Lausanne internship students will take both FRE 492
and FRE 495. Students may choose to also take HUM 296 and/or PE 191.
All internship logs and reports will be submitted in French.
HUM 296 - Enriching the International Experience II (1)
- This course is designed to enrich the student's international experience by providing opportunities to engage more fully with the culture and to reflect more deeply on the experience. It is the goal of this course to help students know how to look at and listen to their new culture and how to give meaning to their international experience. Taught only in International Programs. May be repeated in a different location. Cr/NC grading only.
FRE 492 - Directed Studies: Advanced French Conversation (4)
FRE 495 - French Studies Internship (4 units)
- Since the internships offered in the Lausanne Program are all in French, students are given the opportunity to take 4 units of French in recognition of the educational nature of their internship. The internship cohort will meet weekly as a part of this course to discuss speaking French in the professional workplace.
PE 191 - Individual Exercise (1)
- International Programs only. Extra fee required.
Prof. Karine Grivet
Office Hours: By Appointment