Pepperdine University is closely monitoring developments for COVID-19. Learn more about the University's response plans to keep our campus communities safe.
Introduction to Parent Engagement
Parent engagement is an important aspect of a student's abroad experience. Our philosophy and mission revolve around the idea that this experience is transformational for students. According to our research findings, students experience increased self-esteem, global awareness, and greater insight into their future aspirations as a result of our programs among other benefits.
To this end, our office empowers students to make their own choices and to be responsible for their decisions and actions throughout the entire study abroad process. This includes working directly with students during the application process until they return to the Malibu campus.
Our office is happy to answer questions from parents at any time. If the questions pertain to specifics about a student's participation in our programs, we follow federal privacy laws and will ask that the student joins in the conversation or the student contact our office with questions.
The International Programs office will send periodic updates to parents so they can be aware of upcoming events and dates. If your student is planning to attend an International Program in Academic Year 2023-24 and/or Summer 2023 and you would like to receive updates from our office, please click here to subscribe to our Parent Newsletter.
The following are ways to consider engaging and empowering your student throughout the study abroad experience:
- Share your own international travel and study experiences
- Allow your student to lead this endeavor entirely
- Challenge your student to create goals for their study abroad experiences
- Ask your student if they are keeping up to date on their study abroad preparation tasks
- Allow your student to express themselves by listening to them share their experiences during and after their study abroad term