Groups in Courses
What Does It Do?
Professors can create groups of participants within a class site. Once created, several tools can take advantage of groups to display items just for the members of those groups.
How You Can Use It
- Create folders in Resources that only members of a group can see.
- Create topics in Forums targeted to facilitate group discussion.
- Filter the roster by a group.
- Release an assignment to a specific group.
- Release assessments in Tests & Quizzes for a specific group (e.g. a copy of a test with extra time for students approved by the Office of Student Accessibility).
- Send a message or announcement to a specific group.
- Click the tab for your course or project site.
- Click Site Info in the left menu.
- Click Manage Groups.
- Click Create New Group.
- Enter a title for the group, e.g. Team Alpha.
- Enter a description (optional).
- Select a name in the left "Site Member List" and click the Move Selected button (">") to move the participant or role into the group.
- Repeat until you've added all desired participants into the group.
- Click Add when finished.
- Create a group folder in Resources
- Create a group discussion in Forums
- Official Sakai help page about groups (including Joinable groups)