Webinar: Copyright and Faculty Rights
Do you have questions about what is legal to use freely for teaching purposes in the classroom or online? In this recorded webinar, speakers from Duke University and Rhode Island School of Design review the use of copyright for teaching in both live and online classroom environments. They cover what is legal by statute and what is eligible for fair use exceptions as well. We strongly recommend this content for all faculty.
Running Time: 1 hour, 27 minutes
- Introductions: start to 0:01:44 (1 minute, 44 seconds)
- Copyright Framework: 0:01:44 to 0:11:20
- Copyright in the Live Classroom (Statutory Exception): 0:11:20 to 0:18:17
- Questions: 0:18:17 to 0:21:33
- Copyright in the Virtual Classroom (Statutory Exception): 0:21:33 to 0:45:15
- Questions: 0:45:15 to 0:52:00
- Fair Use: 0:52:00 to 1:17:17
- Summary: 1:17:00 to 1:18:45
- Questions: 1:18:45 to 1:27:15
How to Access
You must have a Pepperdine University Panopto account to view this video. The recording and its materials are licensed from Academic Impressions for use by Pepperdine University faculty, staff, and students only. Due to this, we must limit access to Pepperdine community members with Pepperdine Panopto or Google Drive accounts. We cannot share the recording with any non-Pepperdine users.
Learn more about Panopto and Google Workspace at Pepperdine.
TIP: We recommend that you either use a different web browser or log out of any other Google accounts before logging in with your Pepperdine Google account.
- Watch the Copyright and Faculty Rights video (requires Pepperdine Panopto)
- Resources PDF (requires Pepperdine Google)
- Question and answer PDF (requires Pepperdine Google)
- Pepperdine Academic Policies and Documents
- Filesharing at Pepperdine
- Know Your Copyrights
- Stanford Copyright and Fair Use Center
- TEACHing from a Distance and Copyright Considerations
- Court dismissed lawsuit challenging UCLA practice of streaming instructional videos
- Georgia State Copyright Case Resources (from EDUCAUSE)
<< Back to Workshops