How to Use the Drop Box in Courses
What Does It Do?
The Dropbox tool allows students to upload and share documents privately with the professor.
How You Can Use It
- Dropbox works great for submission of drafts or incomplete assignments for review and consultation. It's designed for open-ended collaboration. The tool is not linked to the Gradebook and does not have options to enforce a deadline.
- If you wish to facilitate collaborative group work and file sharing, use the Resources tool instead.
- If you want students to digitally submit their work to be graded by a specific deadline, use the Assignments tool.
- Click the tab for your course or project site.
- Click Drop Box in the left menu.
- Click Add next to the student's folder.
- Select Upload Files from the drop-down menu.
- Click Choose File to select a file from your computer to share with the student. (Note: There is a 100 MB limit per file uploaded.)
- Select the file and click Open.
- Select Send an email notification to the user if desired.
- Click Upload Files Now to finish uploading the document to the student's course drop box.
Note: When students upload files to their folders, they can send an email notification to the instructor by checking the box for "Send an email notification to the instructor(s)." before clicking "Upload Files Now."