Summer Student Leaders
Summer Resident Advisor Position 2022
The HRL Summer RA position is a great opportunity for a student living in Malibu over the summer. Students selected for these positions will gain leadership experience while serving on a team. This position focuses on community building, program planning, central office work, emergency response, and nightly duty coverage.
The primary role of the HRL Summer RA is to facilitate a positive campus living environment for students taking summer classes while also supporting organizational tasks. The Summer RA will create programming, make connections in the community with summer students, and serve on the duty rotation (5 PM to 8 AM Sunday to Friday, and 5 PM Friday to 5 PM Sunday). HRL will coordinate with summer RAs to assign duty schedules around academic requirements.
Please note that applications for Summer 2022 are now closed.
Training Dates (must be on campus)
- May 3, 2022 - May 6, 2022
- Session 1: May 9, 2022 - June 3, 2022
- Session 2: June 6, 2022 - July 1, 2022
- Session 3: July 6, 2022 - July 9, 2022
Check-Ins and Check-Outs
Summer RAs will conduct ALL resident check-ins and check-outs (weekend hours are MANDATORY):
- Session 1 Check-ins: May 9, 2022
- Session 1 Check-outs: June 3, 2022
- Session 2 Check-ins: June 6, 2022
- Session 2 Check-outs: July 1, 2022
- Session 3 Check-ins: July 6, 2022
- Session 3 Check-out: July 29, 2022
All Summer RAs (unless approved as an interim RA) must move out of housing by 5 PM, Sunday, August 1, 2022.
HRL Summer RAs will receive a scholarship equal to the cost of their assigned housing for the summer sessions they serve. HRL Summer RAs will also receive a summer Meal Plan “A”, for each session.
Eligibility to be in the position of HRL Summer RA is based on, but not limited to, the requirements listed below:
- Be available to participate in online Formation from the week of May 3, 2022, to May 6, 2022. Dates and modes of training are subject to change due to COVID-19 and community updates.
- Be enrolled in at least one unit of Seaver units each summer session while serving as an RA
- RAs are not to take more than two classes or have more than 15 hours of obligations outside of the RA position (this includes any jobs/internships/etc.)
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and status as a student throughout the duration of the leadership experience
- Live in the room/apartment designated by HRL as most advantageous to the responsibilities of the role
- HRL Summer RA is not eligible to continue in the role if placed on any type of disciplinary probation, academic probation, or not enrolled in Seaver units
- If removed from the role, the Summer RA may need to vacate their housing assignment; their roommates may need to relocate also (the removed RA will be required to pay any fees on the student account if removed)
- Preference will be given to students who can serve for the three summer sessions
Tasks and Expectations
- Be mindful of the position of leadership held among peers
- The HRL Summer RA should consider his or her impact on the moral and spiritual development of other students by evidencing good character and professional integrity, attending class regularly, and upholding all community standards
- Assist with COVID-19 community support which includes, but is not limited to meal delivery, preparing isolation/quarantine spaces, upholding LA County mandated regulations etc.
- Adhere to regulations regarding the safety of the community, including fire codes, safety regulations, and the terms of the Master Key Agreement (signed when issued the appropriate master access)
- Inform residents of the community standards, procedures, services, and events of HRL and other university offices
- Fulfill on-duty coverage responsibilities by demonstrating availability, responding to resident concerns and needs, identifying any facilities issues, and interacting with residents
- The HRL Summer RA on duty will be available to students from 5 PM to 8 AM, Sunday through Friday, and 5 PM Friday through 5 PM Sunday
- HRL Summer RAs are responsible to be on duty on a rotating schedule with the summer RA team
- Mediate roommate conflicts with help of the Summer RD(s) and professional staff
- Communicate with the Housing and Residence Life Office on a regular basis and submit all paperwork on time
- Report facility issues and/or concerns
- Participate in a one-hour staff meeting once a week and a weekly one-on-one meeting with an RD
- Plan one to two programs per summer session for the living areas in conjunction with the HRL staff
- Additionally, support the activities and programs promoted by departments within Student Affairs and academics (particularly "Board" events)
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the mission of HRL
The Summer 2022 RA application process is now closed.