Form I-9 and Employment Paperwork Procedures
2023-2024 Academic Year
All student I-9's will be completed by appointment only.
Supervisors, please complete this Hiring Request Form:
On-Boarding Paperwork Completion Request
to setup an I-9 appointment for your new student employee.
Students should allot approximately 30 minutes to complete all employment paperwork.
Please Consider the Following:
Without our student employees filling various roles around campus, Pepperdine wound not run as seamlessly as it does today. The hiring process is a valuable experience for both the supervisor and student. Please review the below as you establish a position to meet your department needs. Each supervisor is also encouraged to participate in one of our Monthly Supervisor Trainings that will explore the below areas.
Quick Guide For Supervisors of Student Employee
A few things to consider when determining your office needs:
- Remember that a student employee's first responsibility is to his/her academic pursuits. You will need to be flexible to the student's academic schedule and responsibilities, as this will dictate their availability to work.
- A student employee should never be used to replace a full-time position.
- Determine the resources available to hire student employees. Keep in mind if you are hiring students through the Federal Work Study Program, they are limited by their award amount. You may be better off hiring two or three students working 7-12 hours each week than one student working 20 hours each week and running out of funding at the end of fall semester.
- The best approach to estimate how many students you will need, is to determine the duties you want them to perform, and the number of hours it will take to complete each task.
- Posting open positions on the Student Employment website, Handshake.
- Collecting applications, interviewing and selecting students who are a good match for the position.
- Submitting paperwork needed in order for students to be paid correctly and on time.
- Clearly communicating the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Providing the student with the tools necessary for performing the work assigned (training, technology, etc.).
- Giving regular feedback to students regarding their performance, providing additional training when appropriate.
- Providing opportunities for growth and development.