Hiring International Students
Process for Hiring International Students:
(assuming the student is F-1 Visa status)
NEW Regulations Pertaining to Remote Work Due to COVID-19:
International students who are currently residing and have a physical presence in the United States are eligible to complete remote work. Unfortunately, due to federal and Visa regulations, students who are residing outside of the United States may not complete remote work for Pepperdine and do not qualify for student employment.
- Student is offered a position
- Student accepts the position
- Supervisor must contact the Student Employment Office (SEO) and provide the following
information via email to email@example.com:
- Student employee full legal name
- Student employee's campus-wide ID number
- Student's start date of employment
- Expected job end date
- Department name
- Hours/week student will work (remember, students cannot work more than 20 hours a week for all jobs on campus)
- Student's Position Title
- One sentence describing the duties of the student employee position
- Supervisor's contact information (telephone number and email address)
- Location of the office (Malibu, Irvine, etc.)
- SUBJECT LINE of Email: Employment Letter Request for the SSA
- SEO will issue a sponsor letter of employment offer for the Social Security Administration Office
- Student WAITS to receive an email from our office. The email will notify the student when they can pick up the above signed letter from the SEO.
- Student needs to make an appointment with the Office of International Student Services (OISS) to get a letter verifying their school enrollment status. Please allow 1 business day for this to be processed.
- Student visits the Social Security Administration Office (SSA) with the following
- Letter from SEO
- Letter from OISS
- I-94 (inside their passport) or can be found online
- Form I-20
- Once student visits the SSA, the SSA will issue a letter of receipt of application for Social Security.
- Student needs to visit SEO to complete the Form I-9. Student will need to bring the
following to complete the Form I-9:
- Letter of receipt from SSA
- Form I-20
- After student completes Form I-9, student must make an appointment to go see Patty Culley in the Payroll Office to complete additional tax paperwork
- You can hire the student in the Student Hire Module. Please visit the Student Hire Module how-to video to see the step-by-step guide.
- Process complete