Newsroom Editing Instructions
The Newsroom is a new and dynamic way to highlight faculty achievements and showcase Pepperdine to our target audience.
- Content should be updated on a daily basis, if possible
- Featured News items should be rotated on a weekly basis, at the very least
- Make sure to review analytics regularly to see what content is resonating most with audience(s)—clicks, unique visits, time on page, etc.
- If content is not being clicked on, consider removing/replacing
- Keep article titles as concise as possible
- Do not copy the article title and use it for the article summary. These should be different. Summary should be no more than 94 characters with spaces.
- When uploading In the News articles, cut and paste entire article from original publication; but MAKE SURE to cite original publication and link to original URL in byline (e.g. https://newsroom.pepperdine.edu/law/2015/01/dr-gregory-mcneal-discusses-use-drones-news-gathering-893-kpcc) The reason we include entire article and not just a “teaser” is because, many times, the original URL will expire
- If article seems text heavy, consider adding photo(s) to make it an easier read
- Make sure image sizes are consistent within an article
- Max width for photos is 465 pixels
- If you make a mistake and upload the wrong photo to your article, make sure you go back to the image library and delete the original photo.
- When saving images or other media, make sure file naming conventions are followed; use lowercase and hyphens only
Adding News Content
Creating a new post
- Go to newsroom.pepperdine.edu/user and log in with your CAS credentials
- On the top navigation bar, click Content → Add Content → News
- Insert 1.) "Title" and 2.) "Subtitle" (if necessary)
- Do not use quotes in title
- NOTE: In the News titles should reference news outlet (e.g. Dr. Robert Kaufman on U.S. Response to Sony Hacking | ABC7
- Insert display (i.e. publish) date & time that you'd like to show up on the article
- Leave author name field BLANK
- Select a school for BOTH "school" sections
- Highlight the designated school in the selection box
- Check same school on radio button list
- Select AT LEAST one Category
- You can select up to 3 that best apply
- Select News type
- You can select more than one (e.g. Featured News + Alumni News)
- Do NOT select all
- Select Format
- Is your news an audio clip, video clip, text article, etc.?
Adding article content
- When copying and pasting text, be sure to paste in "Plain Text" (the icon)
- Click on Edit Summary
- Summary must be no more than 94 characters with spaces.
- Insert article text in body text field
- You then have to manually go through and bold/italicize/hyperlink/bullet point appropriate text
- Article title should be set to Heading 2
- NOTE: Do not include a title in the article body text field if it's the same as the article title inserted above.
- Subtitle (if applicable) should be set to Heading 3
- Example: Dr. Karen Martin's Grunion Research - National Geographic
- Internal headings should be set to Heading 4
- If you're inserting an accompanying video or audio clip, insert the following text
under news title:
- AUDIO (hyperlink to audio clip)
- VIEW VIDEO (hyperlink to video clip)
- Example: Dr. Lee Kats Discusses the Invasive Red Swamp Crayfish | 89.3 KPCC
- If you're embedding a video, make sure video width is set to 600 pixels and that the still image also links to the clip (example)
- Highlight word(s) you'd like to link
- Click the icon
- Paste the link you'd like the text to direct to in the "URL" box
- NOTE: All external links should open in a new window; all internal (pepperdine.edu) links should open in the same window
- Click "OK"
- NOTE: Links from the old Pepperdine site will not work on the new site. Make sure all content you're linking to exists on the new site.
Adding photos to article
- Place mouse cursor on the text line where you'd like to insert the photo.
- Max width for photos is 465 pixels
- Click the icon
- Click "Browse Server"
- If photo is not already on the newsroom server, click "Upload" button in left hand corner
- Select your image from your desktop or other location
- Note: Be as descriptive and consistent with photo naming conventions so image files are easy to find
- Click "upload" then click "insert file"
- If your photo is already on the server, double click on the image file name
- A pop-up box will open with a preview of your image
- Insert the alternative text (the text that will appear when someone scrolls over your image)
- Leave Width and Height fields blank, but set HSpace to 10, VSpace to 5, and Alignment to Right
- Click "OK" and the image should appear within your article text.
- Check the tags that apply to your news item. DO NOT check all.
Adding a Featured Image
- The featured image is the image that appears as the article thumbnail
- This image can be a smaller version of one already included in the article or a different
one; make sure the featured image dimensions are:
- width: 630 px
- height: 315 px
- NOTE: If you're uploading a professor's headshot, make sure it's their most recently approved photo. All headshots should be consistent in the newsroom (including crop and scale)
- Add your alternative text to the text field, if applicable (e.g. Dr. Lee Kats, Prof. Derek Muller, etc.)
- If you'd like your article to appear in the "Featured News" section on the view all news page, click on Publishing Options → and check Sticky at top of lists (note: doing so will elevate it in Newsroom, but will cause the story to disappear from the University homepage newsfeed, as well as specified school homepage newsfeeds).
Reviewing and submitting
- Review all text, photo, and category information.
- Click "Publishing options" at the bottom of the page
- Under the "Moderation state," select "Needs Review" (if submitting to super editor
for review) or "Published"
- You may also save as a draft if planning to publish at a later date
- Click "Save"
- To schedule a post for a future date, adjust the date and time options to reflect when you would like the story to appear in Newsroom.