Apply to Be a Student Leader
Are you interested in being a Resident Advisor (RA) or Spiritual Life Advisor (SLA) in Malibu? Learn more about the RA/SLA role here. We hope you will consider this opportunity to lead in our on-campus housing communities and look forward to meeting you!
Summer Resident Advisor (RA)
Learn more about the Summer Resident Advisor role.
Applications will open for Summer 2023 in mid to late Spring 2023.
Graduate Resident Advisor (GRA)
Learn more about the Graduate Resident Advisor role.
Applications will open for the 2023-2024 school year in mid to late Spring 2023.
Academic Year Student Leader Application
How Do I Apply to be a Fall 2023 - Spring 2024 RA/SLA?
- Mandatory* Info Sessions in the Fireside Room:
- Monday, November 7, 6 PM-7 PM
- Tuesday, November 8, 4 PM-5 PM
- Wednesday, November 9, 12 PM-1 PM
- Application Open: Friday, November 11 - Wednesday, December 21, 11:59 PM PST
- Interviews: Monday, January 23 - Wednesday, February 1
- Results Sent: Friday, February 10
- Position Acceptance Deadline: Tuesday, February 14
*You must attend one info session to gain access to the application. If you are unable to make it to any info session or you are abroad, please contact email@example.com.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- In good standing with the Office of Community Standards
- Check with your Financial Assistance Advisor and determine the impact the Resident Advisor (RA) or Student Life Advisor (SLA) scholarship may have on your aid package
- Submit the online application by the posted deadline. The application has three elements
which will be explained further throughout the application process:
- A series of short essay questions
- A 1-3 minute video about yourself
- A reference form submitted by three people:
- Former/current faculty or staff
- Former/current RA or SLA
- Former/current employer
- A character reference (coach, pastor, etc) can be substituted if the other options can’t be fulfilled
- Participate in interviews
- Live on campus for the entire school year
- Must be available for training and closing tasks before and after each semester. Please
note these dates are subject to change slightly and the finalized dates will be listed
in the leadership contract sent out with offers.
- August 1-20: HRL Fall Formation
- December 15-18: Fall Closing
- January 2-7: HRL Spring Formation
- April 26-29: Spring Closing
- We strive for each student leader to have faith in Christ and must live out their faith in the role of RA or SLA
- Must be available for HRL Leadership Class Wednesday mornings from 8:30 to 9:50 AM both semesters
Leadership scholarship amount varies according to position and type of housing.
Many students' financial aid may be affected by the RA/SLA scholarship package. Please check with the Financial Aid Office about your individual situation.
Please note: Meal Plan E is currently $2,055/semester and Meal Plan B is currently $645/semester but this is subject to change for the 2023-2024 academic year.
|Scholarship Amount Awarded For:||Full Room Scholarship||Meal Plan Scholarship|
|Resident Advisors in||First Year Houses||Yes||Meal Plan E|
|Seaside/Towers||Yes||Meal Plan E|
|Apartments||Yes||Meal Plan B|
|Spiritual Life Advisors in||First Year Houses||Yes||No Meal Plan Scholarship (Required to Purchase Meal Plan E)|
|Seaside/Towers||Yes||No Meal Plan Scholarship (Required to Purchase Meal Plan E)|
|Apartments||Yes||No Meal Plan Scholarship (No Meal Plan Required)|
Student Leader Housing Arrangements
Student leader housing arrangements vary slightly depending on building and role. View these specifics in the chart below.
|Position||Room Type||Bathroom Type||Shared Common Space||Option to Choose Own Roommate(s)||Details|
|Drescher RA||Private||Shared||Yes||In apartment, yes||Private bedroom in a four-room apartment|
|First-year hall RA||Private||Private||In bedroom, if desired||Private bedroom with a private bathroom (option to have a shared room in a suite if a roommate is desired)|
|First-year hall SLA||Shared||Shared||Yes||Roommate, yes||Shared bedroom in a four-bedroom, eight-person suite|
|George Page RA||Shared||Shared||Yes||Roommate and apartment-mates||Shared bedroom in a two-bedroom, four-person apartment|
|George Page SLA||Shared||Shared||Yes|
|Lovernich RA||Shared||Shared||Yes||Roommate and apartment-mates||Shared bedroom in a two-bedroom, four-person apartment|
|Seaside RA||Private||Shared||Yes||No, unless another Seaside student leader||Private room in a two-bedroom suite with one other student leader|
|Towers RA||Shared||Shared||Roommate, yes||Shared bedroom and a bathroom shared with 1-3 others|
Available Student Leader Positions
To provide context for how many student leader positions are available across campus, please view our breakdown below.
|Type of Housing||Hall||RA Count||SLA Count|
|Year 2 Halls||Seaside||15||4|
|First Year Houses||20 Houses||2 each (40 total)||1 each (20 total)|
|78 Total||31 Total|