Becoming a Leader
As you think back to when you first moved onto campus, you might remember a sea of
orange shirts welcoming and cheering you on. The enthusiastic orientation leaders
helped you feel at home and made your move onto campus all the easier. If you're interested
in providing that same experience to the incoming freshman class, consider applying
to serve as an orientation leader. There are approximately 100 positions available.
Please note: Due to schedule conflicts, you are unable to participate as an OL if you are selected for the following positions: RA, SLA, Student Programming Board, SGA Executive Board, PVC, SWAB Executive Board, and ICC Executive Board.
- Must have a GPA of 2.0 or above
- Must be in good standing with the university (not on academic or disciplinary probation)
- Return to campus on Tuesday, August 17 at 2 PM for training prior to New Student Orientation
- Available for all of training and New Student Orientation (Tuesday, August 17 - Saturday, August 28)
- Help new students move into on-campus housing
- Answer parent and students questions
- Assist new students and families around campus
- Keep the flow of the orientation schedule
- Be a friendly face and positive presence
- Support NSO team in other duties as assigned
- Two 2021-2022 orientation leader shirts
- Meals during training and orientation
- Early access to on-campus housing (if you have an agreement for the Fall Semester)
- Leadership opportunity
- Build community prior to the start of the academic year
- Serve your peers
Dates and Deadlines
|Applications Open||Monday, April 5|
|OL Training||Tuesday, August 17 (2 PM) - Sunday, August 22*|
|New Student Orientation||Monday, August 23 - Saturday, August 28|
*There may be an opportunity for Orientation Leaders to help serve and move in our
Year 2/Sophomore students. If you decide to serve both First-Year and Year 2 students,
you would likely need to arrive even earlier to participate in any potential Year
There are three steps to follow when applying to be an Orientation Leader (OL):
- Fill out the online application by clicking the button below, which includes uploading your resume and signing up for an OL interview.
- Obtain a faculty/staff recommendation (by sending this webpage to your faculty/staff recommender and directing them to the "Recommendation Form" button below)
- Complete a 10-minute OL interview, which will take place on Zoom. OL interview sign-ups
are included in the OL Application form.
An application and faculty/staff recommendation are required.