Working at a Christian University
"What does it mean to work at a Christian institution like Pepperdine? Specifically, how does our mission affect our work? The fact is, even when we understand and appreciate it, it can be hard to articulate how it affects our work - how we take our values and apply them in the work environment. Interpreting, articulating, applying - it is not easy for some of us.
The piece you are about to experience has been created to inspire, intrigue, and promote discussion among the people who make up the Pepperdine community. In many ways, Pepperdine's mission is only as strong as the people who embody it. These days, when I speak to how our mission plays out in the work place, I am quick to say, 'It's the people. It's who they are. And what they do flows from who they are.'"
Phil E. Phillips
Chief Operating Officer and Senior Vice President for Administration
- Read more about working at a Christian University in the e-book We Are One Made Of Many.
- Read remarks about the Pepperdine community and mission given at the 2010 Leadership Conference entitled "... that what we do flows directly from who we are..."
Churches of Christ
Learn about the Churches of Christ and the affiliation at Pepperdine University:
- Churches of Christ 101: Why We Exist (video presentation by Patrick Mead at the 2013 Pepperdine Bible Lectures)
- Churches of Christ and Change (video presentation by Patrick Mead at the 2014 Pepperdine Bible Lectures)
- The Idea of a Christian University (by Richard T. Hughes)
- The Pepperdine Table: Reflections on the University's Christian Identity (by John D. Barton)
- Scholarship, Pepperdine University, and the Legacy of Churches of Christ (by Richard T. Hughes and Thomas H. Olbricht)
- The Jerry Rushford Center for Research on Churches of Christ and the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement (located in Payson Library)
What It Means to Work Here: Video Series
Pepperdine seeks to provide an exceptional work environment for those who choose to work and serve at this University. Being part of this community can be deeply personal and equally compelling. Hear testimonies from members of the Pepperdine community as to what it means for them to work at Pepperdine University:
- Jim Gash, President and CEO
- Gary Hanson, Executive Vice President
- Hung Le, Associate Vice President and University Registrar
- Janet and James Lockhart, Manager of Operations and Director of Financial Aid, Seaver College
- Regan Schaffer, Associate Professor of Organizational Behavior and Management, Seaver College
- Elizabeth Whatley, Director of the Florence Program
- Compilation of Faculty and Staff