2U Course Development Process
How do I request a 2U teaching stipend vs. units?
Stipend and Units:
Step 1: If a faculty member has met their full teaching load and desires a stipend, they must complete a request for a stipend payment at the beginning of the term. Otherwise, units are assigned and added to banked units (max 12 units).
Step 2: Faculty Affairs updates individual contract tracking spreadsheet
Step 3: Department Chairs review and approve contract tracking spreadsheet
What is the course refresh cycle for 2U courses?
- Course leads should engage in ongoing continuous improvement each term through the iteration process. This ongoing process includes changes to the syllabus, assignments, knowledge checks, assessments, gradebook, and more. Major refreshes beyond iteration need to be approved by the Department Chair, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, and the Online Programs Chair. Major refreshes include substantive course redesign, recording new studio-quality videos and are scheduled after 3-5 years of iterations.
Who initiates course development and major revisions for a 2U course?
- Online Programs Chair collaborates with Program Office, Faculty Committee, Department Chair, and 2U to determine which courses will be developed and/or require a major refresh.
How are faculty paid for 2U course development?
- Course leads are assigned by department chairs, who also work with Faculty Affairs to confirm and record preferred compensation (stipend or units).
- All course leads must sign a faculty contract before beginning work on course development.
- Course Lead begins working with 2U to develop the course
- The first payment will be issued when Course Development begins, as defined by the “Faculty Orientation” for new faculty, or the first Course Strategy meeting for faculty who have already developed a course with 2U.
- The second payment will be issued when Course Development ends, as defined by the completion of the faculty completing their review of the course in the Faculty Review Document.
- 2U informs Program Office of course completion; Program Office processes stipend payment with People Operations, as necessary.
- Course leads are compensated for the necessary work of coordinating with section leads. This work may include recurring meetings to review grading standards, course content, deliverables, learning goals, assessments, and more. Even in semesters where the course lead is not teaching the course, they are expected to fulfill this responsibility and are compensated at the rate as specified in the current term sheet.
Google Request Form - Contact Doris Jones
Payments - Contact Courtney Scott
Units/ Stipends tracking spreadsheet - Contact Janna Martinez
Course development questions - Contact 2U
General process questions - Contact your department chair
Course Leads - Contact Michael Williams, Online Programs Chair