Course Creation Schedule
Several weeks prior to the start of a new academic term, class sites are created in Courses, our learning management system. This offers professors time to prepare class content and activities before the new term begins.
- Fall Term: July 1 (or next business day)
- Spring Term: November 1 (or next business day)
- Summer Term: March 1 (or next business day)
We target class site creation based on the schedule above, but dates can vary. If the target date falls on a weekend, for instance, the process will be scheduled on the next business day. Also, the course creation process takes several hours to complete, so please be patient and wait for up to 24 hours.
EXAMPLE: For fall 2018, the target date falls on a Sunday (July 1, 2018). Based on this, we will schedule course creation for Monday, July 2, 2018. With the July 4th holiday, professors can expect sites to be generally available by Thursday, July 5, based on the teaching assignments the school has entered into our student information system.
Yes, Seaver College has requested that some classes should not be created on our learning management system. The list of excluded classes are listed below:
- Seaver: MUS 103 and 303 classes. These are private music instruction classes and do not require an online presence.
Student enrollments are updated each business day, twice a day. Our student system creates update files shortly before 7:00 AM and 2:00 PM Pacific. Courses processes these files at 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM Pacific. It can take 10-30 minutes for enrollments to reflect after an update. If a student registers at 10:00 AM on Monday, they should be listed by 4:30 PM that same day. If a student registers after 2:00 PM, the enrollment should appear the next business morning by 8:30 AM. Newly matriculated students sometimes require extra time to process. It sometimes takes a full business day before a newly matriculated student enrollment will appear in Courses.
Please follow these steps.
- Wait one business day. Course creation generally begins based on the schedule above. The process takes several hours, so please be patient. Also, if the date falls on a weekend, the process will begin on the next business day with sites generally available to professors within 24 hours.
- Check the "Sites" menu. If you have taught several classes in the past, it's possible that your new sites may not appear as tabs in the learning management system. To view all of your sites, click the "Sites" menu at the top right. Your sites will be organized by academic term. Look for the most recent semester/trimester and click the link for the appropriate site. Professors can favorite their sites to quickly access their desired class or project sites.
- Contact your school program office. Class sites and faculty assignments will depend on the information entered by your school into the student administration system. Please check with the appropriate contact of your school's program office to verify that your assignment has been entered. Once entered, it can take up to one business day before the new assignment will appear in the learning management system. Finally, if you are a new hire, remember that Human Resources must process your paperwork. Please check with your school program office so they can update you on the status of your faculty assignment as well as your University NetworkID.
- Call the IT Service Desk. If you have followed all of the above steps and the site is still not appearing, please contact the university's IT Service Desk. You may reach them by phone at (310) 506-4357 or toll-free in the USA at (866) 767-8623. You may also fill out the online help form.
Class sites are created "unpublished." This allows you, the professor, to set up your site privately before students can see the content or activities. When you're ready, you can publish your site with one click. Students will not be able to see your site until you publish it.
If you have published your site, please check the "Roster" or "Site Info" tool in your class site and see if the student is listed. If the student is listed, then there isn't a technical issue; please direct the student to the "Sites" menu. If the student is not listed, please check to see if they are officially registered for the class by viewing your official class roster in WaveNet. Only officially registered students will be automatically enrolled in class sites on Courses/Sakai.