Malware and Virus Prevention
Malware and Viruses
How to prevent a Virus or Malware from stealing data and resources from your computer or mobile
Surprisingly, security updates are even more effective than anti-virus. Researchers update anti-virus once a virus has been caught infecting computers and has been analyzed. Security updates close the flaws that virus creators need to make malware work. Updates are prevention; Anti-virus is reaction. You still benefit from anti-virus, but you benefit more from updates.
- Set your computer's operating system and apps to automatically update.
- Maintain up-to-date anti-virus software on your device.
- Learn more with the Information Security Office's quick reference guides.
What systems should have Anti-virus software?
- University owned systems should have ENTERPRISE Sophos anti-virus.
- Pepperdine anti-virus is installed via Device Management.
- If you don't see the Sophos S-shield icon in your Mac menu bar or Windows system tray, contact the IT Service Desk.
- Personal Windows, Macintosh should install FREE Sophos anti-virus.
- Personal Android mobiles should install Sophos Mobile Security.