The mission of the Information Security Office is to help our colleagues protect student data and maintain trust in the University.
Please send your security questions, consulting and operational requests by email to iso -at- pepperdine.edu. Report information breaches and other urgent issues by phone at 310 506 4040.
Quick Links - Look Here First
- Resources - tools you can use to secure data and systems for which you are responsible.
- Tips - our quick reference guides and short videos to help you secure data.
- Policy - policy, standards, guidelines and procedures to keep good intentions from turning into a bad result.
- RESTRICTED data - if you have health records or credit card/drivers license/social security numbers find out what you need to do.
Five Ways ISO Helps You Protect Data and Preserve Trust
1 - Training
- Annual training events include:
- New Student Orientation talks and welcome table in August.
- October National Cyber Security Awareness campaign for students, faculty and staff.
- Information Security for Managers briefing meetings on several campuses and online.
- Training for students: An online class is available to all students on Courses.
- Training for departments and academic divisions: An online security class is available for staff and faculty. Separately tailored 15-60 minute trainings are available for your department meeting or specific groups - call us to discuss!
2 - Consulting
- Need to find a secure way to efficiently do your business? Start with a call to discuss, x4040.
3 - Usable policy, guidelines and standards
- ISO doesn't make policy but we advise those that do.
- Our goal is workable, secure policies, guidelines and standards.
- Pepperdine has security policy comparable with the best of our peer institutions.
4 - Security systems and services (view our full service catalog)
- Our firewalls, network access control and intrusion detection systems stop tens of thousands of attacks daily, from the Internet and devices walked onto campus nets.
- The spam filter stops 99+% of spam, phishing and email viruses and blocks sending RESTRICTED information. Attachments.pepperdine.edu is easy to use to send RESTRICTED information or very large files securely.
- Every computer on the network is registered and University owned servers or computers receive configuration and patch management.
5 - Analysis & incident handling.
- We analyze network intrusion events and prepare new defenses every week.
- When there is a security incident ISO works to identify, contain and eradicate the threat and help with restoring service and improving for next time.