Facilitate a Meeting
How to activate your microphone and camera
At the bottom left-hand corner of the Zoom meeting toolbar, the microphone or headphone logo accompanied with the word "Mute" or "Join Audio" should be visible. Click "Mute" to disable microphone. Click "Unmute" to enable microphone.
Camera (On/Off): Located to the right of microphone/Join Audio button. Click "Stop Video" to disable camera. Click "Start Video" to enable camera.
- Click on "Manage Participants." A sidebar will appear on the right.
- Hover over a participant's name to reveal "Mute" or "Rename."
- To mute everyone in the meeting, click "Mute all."
- Click "Manage Participants" again to hide the sidebar.
- Click the "Chat" button at the bottom of your Zoom meeting toolbar.
- Type message.
- Click the Enter/return button on your keyboard to send message.
- Click the green "Share" button in the middle of the Zoom toolbar.
- Select to mirror a desktop toolbar, white board, or any other open application on your device that you would like to share.
- Click the "Share" button in the bottom right of the toolbar.
- From the meeting toolbar, click "Chat."
- Click "More."
- Click "Share file in meeting."
- Select file you want to share in your meeting and click "open."
- In the meeting toolbar, click "Record."
- When prompted, click "Record on this Computer" (if you are a student) or "Record to Cloud" (if you are an instructor).
- Once you are ready to stop your recording, click the "stop" button located on your meeting toolbar or the top left of your screen.
- The recording will automatically convert into an mp4 file when you leave or end the meeting.
- A file folder will pop up with three files. It will contain the video file and an audio file of recorded meeting.
- You can now move that mp4 file to your Pepperdine Google drive account or choose to keep it on your local device.
- Click "End Meeting" in the bottom, right corner.
- Select either:
- Leave meeting (allows remaining participants to stay in the virtual room).
- End Meeting for all (closes meeting for all participants).
Breakout rooms allow you to have separate meeting spaces within a single meeting in Zoom. The host can choose to assign participants to separate breakout rooms and monitor each session by moving from room to room. This is ideal for professors who conduct group work and want to have teams collaborate privately.
1. Click "Breakout Rooms" on the bottom toolbar.
2. Choose the number of breakout rooms you would like to use.
3. Assign participants to breakout rooms by selecting either "automatically" or "manually":
- "Automatically" (randomly assigns participants to rooms)
- "Manually" (allows the host to manually add participants to rooms)
4. Click "Create Breakout Rooms."
5. Click "Open All Rooms" to start the breakout session, and then click "join" for the room you want to enter.
Asking for help
1. Participants can ask the host for assistance at any time by clicking the "Ask for Help" button in the participant's toolbar.
2. When prompted, the host clicks "Join Breakout Room" to enter the session asking for assistance.
Broadcasting a message to breakout rooms
1. Click "Breakout Room" on the bottom toolbar and select "Broadcast a message to all."
2. Type message (i.e. 5 minute warning) and click "Broadcast."
NOTE: This message will be sent to every breakout room.
ENDING A BREAKOUT SESSION
1. Click "Breakout Rooms" on the bottom toolbar and select "Close All Rooms."
NOTE: Participants will be notified that the room will be closing and that they will be sent back to the main meeting session.
Creating a poll
- Sign in to your Zoom account.
- To begin a poll, you need to either: a) create a new meeting, OR b) go to an existing meeting under the "Meetings" tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the meeting invitation, click "Add" to begin creating the
4. Title the poll, enter question type (single or multiple choice), and click "Save."
Launching a poll
1. Click "Polling" in the bottom toolbar.
2. Click "Launch Poll."
3. Participants in the meeting will be prompted to answer the polling questions. Once an answer has been submitted, the host will be able to see the live results.
4. When finished with the poll, click "End Poll."
5. (Optional) To share polling results with meeting participants, Click "Share Results."
6. Click "Stop Sharing" to stop sharing poll results with meeting participants.
Schedule on behalf of
This is a helpful feature for anyone who schedules meetings on behalf of another individual.
1. Sign in to your Zoom account.
2. Go to 'Meeting Settings' and scroll down to the "Other" section at the bottom of the page.
3. Click the "+" icon next to "Assign scheduling privilege to" and input the Pepperdine email address of the scheduler.
**NOTE: The scheduler must have activated their Pepperdine Zoom account prior to this step.
4. Click "Assign."
Under the "Advanced Options" section, the assignee will now be able to create meetings on behalf of another user by using the 'Schedule for' dropdown menu.
The Zoom Pro tool in Courses allows users with 'instructor' access to schedule meetings in class sites. This also provides a single location for students to access class materials, join online sessions, and locate class recordings.
Scheduling a Zoom meeting
- Login to Courses and navigate to your class site.
- Add the "Zoom Pro" tool (via Site Info > Manage Tools) to the class site in Courses.
- Click the "Zoom Pro" tool and select "Schedule a New Meeting."
- (Recommended) If you will be teaching online with a regular frequency, then schedule your sessions to occur as a recurring meeting. This has two advantages: a) it cuts down on confusion for students by utilizing the same meeting ID link for each meeting, and b) it saves you time from scheduling each meeting one at a time.
- Adjust any other settings as appropriate and click "Save."
Starting your Zoom meeting
1. Login to Courses and navigate to your class site.
2. Click the Zoom tool.
3. Find the desired meeting and click "Start" on the right hand side to begin your session.
Managing recordings through the Zoom tool (INSTRUCTOR)
1. Login to Courses and navigate to your class site.
2. Click the Zoom tool and select the 'Cloud Recordings' tab at the top.
3. View recording by clicking the meeting title or attached files.
4. To delete a specific recording, click 'Delete' on the right side of the meeting line item.